Is this retro?

Re: I think people misunderstood me...

cybertrophic":ggbihirs said:
Nice to see a few people just jumping on the new guy to try and tell him he's an idiot whilst missing the point, though - always a friendly welcome! ;)

Not really.

You came here and asked if the bike was retro, perhaps without having nosed around to see the sort of thing people are posting up. Most said no but you continued to press the point. Nobody called you an idiot. If you want to get called an idiot post your 2001 Giant full susser on other retro sites and see what they make of it.

Welcome to the site though, hope you manage to pick up some of the other bikes you mention.

Everyone's entitled to their opinion - I started out with a ten-speed MTV from Bromley bikes in about 1988 and moved up through a variety of rigid and hardtail bikes, but until the Giant I'd never had serious money to spend - although I really, really wanted a Kona Explosif, or a cannondale headshok, I couldn't ever stretch that far as a kid!

Now I've just got to convince the wide that this hobby is less costly than, say, golf lessons! I'm playing up the "it's less than gym membership" angle and scouring eBay at the moment!

cybertrophic":1ro7ffo8 said:
Now I've just got to convince the wide...
Don't let her here you calling her that.

Trust me on that ;-)

I've clearly missed my vocation - I've so got relatinship counselling down...

"Wide" never heard that one before :LOL:

And golf is an evil waste of countryside but at least the grass is like riding on smooth smooth carpet .

There are always going to be people who are hostile towards questions that have been posed many times before, and it's unfortunate that this can appear to be a hostility towards new members. In fact I think you'll find that this website is notable for its lack of hostility and its supportive attitude. In contrast to many other places where an established clique really does try to flame new members to get them to go away.

I took your question to be not so much is my bike retro but what are the criteria by which it isn't retro. And you have your answer, which is the possibly surprising one that even though this is Retrobike, most people find questions about what is retro extremely boring!

Tell your wife that the good thing about retrobikes is that they're cheap, and provided you control yourself and don't pay over the odds you should be buying something that could be sold for the same amount. In contrast to a golf ball, which is not only expensive, but in ten minutes time it won't be worth anything because you'll have lost it.

I can understand having a ceratin restriction on VINTAGE bikes but retro couls be many ages, i have a Kona muni mula 2001 and to me thats retro compared to my CUBE stereo 2010 full sus, everything about the Kona is bad and it is old so as far as what i consider to be retro id probably say 10 years

Vintage-->Very Old
Retro-->A feeling and a certain look, maybe even a "cool" factor, no certain age can be applied, if a bike is 10years old it's not necessarily a Retro bike but just an OLD bike, no shame in saying that.

Just like in cars, a 10year old Focus doesn't suddenly become a Retro car, it's just an old car, doesn't make it a bad car.

Of course this is all subjective.

easyrider i get what you are saying buts thats just it, you say that and someone else up the page says it must be pre 1993, this ir RETROBIKES although they have a section for bikes 1997 and newer!!!!
Everyone has there own opinion, you must be phsycik i have a 10year old focus LOL but as you say thats just old i will defo agree with you on that 1

Back