Is there any XL retrobike that doesn't look like a gate?

This is my non gate-like XXL Race ORS. 25" c to c top tube and a 23" c to t seat tube.

Fits me like the proverbial glove and I'm 6' 7".

The 'clean' pic below is with the originally fitted kit. How I wish I hadn't snapped those Mag 21 legs and 'lunched' the crank tapers!

Attachments

• img011.jpg
    img011.jpg
    150.6 KB · Views: 787
  • img010.jpg
    img010.jpg
    134.8 KB · Views: 787
Cheers for all the replies and pictures. It seems that the answer to my question is yes, there are good looking Xl retrobikes out there BUT it seems like:
- somebody on retrobike already owns them
- there's enough competition of people my size for when they do become available.

I really like that XXL bontrager, so that may go on a future wish list with a Yo eddy

As for 29ers, I completely agree. I have an XL Voodoo Aizan with pace rc29s which is at least as nippy as any bike I've ridden and at 22lbs the lightest bike I've ever had and the grip it has is amazing. I just asked the question to see if it there was anything to make me want a retrobike, and there is.

On thinking back a mate back in the mid 90's had a diamondback which had 700c wheels and bullhorn handlebars. Nobody thought anything of it then, it was dismissed as a 'hybrid' Does anyone remember these?

29ers are a good idea if you want a big in proportion bike but they are not Retro and thus seem a daft solution on a retro site. Hybrid bikes might fit the retro idea but are not 29er's. The 29er is a modern idea :roll:

Best plan is to accept the shape and geometry of big 26er bikes, it goes with the territory of being a big rider :D

Alternatively squeeze the fattest tyres you can into a retro hybrid and go that route. Infact why not start a 28er fashion, I might give that a go as Schwalbe make a good 28 x 1.75 inch knobbly hybrid tyre that can be squeezed into many hybrid frames ;)

Ultimately its not what you ride but how you ride it. My fleet includes a 22 inch Raliegh, a 23 inch Specialized and a 22 inch falcon and used to include a 25 inch Schwinn :shock:

I wouldn't say they were a " daft " solution. My 29er's steel with XT 737 drivetrain....I LOVE retro stuff. " Retro " itself means...

" imitative of a style, fashion, or design from the recent past. "

I really like that XXL bontrager

From hanging with the Global Fridge guys and talking to KB back in the nineties, I understand that there were only 8 of the beasties made. I know that there is at least one other in the UK that I had the opportunity to buy a few years back but couldn't afford. Regret it every day!

Oh, and from digging out the original bumpf that came with the frame, I missed off an X. It should read XXXL.

Hey ho; what's an X between friends?

Well spotted on the XXXL. That one went to Simon who worked in John's Bikes in Bath. That by the way is an EXCELLENT shop to go to as all the employees are 7 feet tall and their demo bikes are HUGE!!

Agency_Scum":1hvwut1j said:
I wouldn't say they were a " daft " solution. My 29er's steel with XT 737 drivetrain....I LOVE retro stuff. " Retro " itself means...

" imitative of a style, fashion, or design from the recent past. "

<disclaimer> Of course that is one in many interpretations of what retro means and I assume how you interpret it not how all interpret it

I prefer this one
“retro” is used to describe objects and attitudes from the recent past that no longer seem “modern.”
of course this rules out 29ers as that is modern thinking from what I see and we're not in off topic.

Many more uses here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Retro :twisted: <discalimer>

Though modern bikes (26") may look better in the larger size due to the high front end due to 6" of travel allowing a shorter headtube, the headtube is what tends to give the the gate effect.
But this of course makes the small frames just look bloody silly, retro is kinder on the small frames. :LOL:

I had a 98 clockwork 21" ,i always felt was a tad too big for me
I'm 6'3" and now ride an 19" which i fell is better suited to my style

Cant get much more retro than an early clocky :cool:

Back