Is there any XL retrobike that doesn't look like a gate?

i was good - i know that sarcasm is hard to pick up over the internet so I'll give you the benefit of the doubt.

I'm not in a position to seriously consider buying a yo at the moment, but it's nice to know that there is something desirable out there if that time comes.

Top tube length is the important bit when your tall. I'm 6'6" and find my Alpinestars and spesh stumpy fine in 20" as they have around 23" of top tube length.

Anyway a diamond frame gate would be useless at keeping sheep in especially if theyre of the mint variety :LOL:

An On-One inbred is a good modern hardtail for us giants, although max centre to top height is 20", the top tubes about 24", I plan to buy one one day as my modern bike.

Non gate bikes for the taller gentleman you say? L and XL Yo's you say?

Here you go:

Attachments

• Yo BoTM2.JPG
    Yo BoTM2.JPG
    75.3 KB · Views: 1,351
  • Christmas Yo side on.JPG
    Christmas Yo side on.JPG
    110.3 KB · Views: 1,351
Here's my 20" Explosif, comes with a good a good riding position without "silly" stem solutions too:

Rider92_05s.JPG

Enjoy!!

From my experience ( as an 18 stone 6'6" tower of sh1te ) I'd have to say the answer to your question is no, most definitely not ( keep reading, I had a happy ending ). For years I had...

this ( click on photos to make them huge )

...and this.

But I felt like this...

pbb.jpg

So I bought a 29er and it's...

LUSH! ( click on it again )

The Yos are the only bikes that came close to NOT looking like gates until you started staring at the tiny tiny wheels which looked daft. For anyone over 6'2" ish and especially the very tall like us a 29er is a good way to go. For a start everything is in proportion; no vast headtubes, no tiny wheels, no scaffolding pole seatposts sticking out. Secondly there's the handling which is fantastic; just ignore the b*ll*cks written by short journalists getting legs over " medium " sized 29er frames WHICH HANDLE LIKE BARGES ( really: they should only ever be made in sizes of 20" or over to make sense ). Thirdly there's the market; Americans ARE HUGE! Decades of good diet have made the average yank 9 feet tall and they're minted so there's a huge ( successful ) 29er market out there which means it'll last and there's spares, tyres and tubes aplenty. Finally there's the revenge factor! After years of finding out you're the wrong size and/or they don't make them that big you can finally turn round to all your medium friends and say...

" Sorry mate, you're too bleedin' short. "

I'm surprised it took to page 2 for someone to mention a 29er. I think this would be a good way to go. I am a little over 6'3" and am considering one for my next steed for this reason.

A proper sized bike makes such a difference. When I bought my latest "new" bike (first MTB bought from a shop in over 10 years!) I was measured up for it and consequently got the size they recommended, rather than the one I thought looked in better proportions.

You can pick up a Pace RC200 in gate size. Here's mine, but the saddle is too low. I think the amount of seatpost showing makes a difference. Problem I've found on the bigger Paces is that the headtube is very long so finding 1" forks can be a pain.

pacerc200.jpg

I'm 6'2", so a 'L' bike is on the small side but an 'XL' can be too big. My 10-year-old Specialized is a 19", so I got too used to a spindly little bike and wedging it between trees and rocks. For this season, I bought my FSR Stumpjumper in Size L - Specialized seems to have a longer top tube so I fit better.

The only cool-looking 'L' or 'XL' bikes I have had are modern FR or DH bikes. It's not retro, but it looks badass... my old Giant Reign. I punted it because it's a long and heavy-ish bike (33 lbs.) Made for a great all-mountain bike in the Rockies, but too big for tech XC:

Attachments

• pbpic2074018.jpg
    pbpic2074018.jpg
    93.2 KB · Views: 794
Back