Is there a non destructive way to remove 3 piece crank without a puller?

It really bugs me to have to buy tools just for one job that I will probably only use a couple of times ever.

Is there not an improvised way to do it?

Looking at some videos it doesn't seem like a complex process- you are just trying to remove a tightly stuck thingy on another protruding thingy.

Can't it be done, albeit perhaps taking longer. with common workshop tools? I have no problem with the process being longer since it wouldn't be something that is done often.

The videos I have seen involve hammering or one, pointlessly, using a tool much more expensive than the puller itself. Well the only valid reason they gave in that case was if the thread had gone in the crank making a puller unusable.

I did have a go with the hammer and screwdriver method tapping on the chainrings but it didn't budge with medium hits such that I would not want to go harder at risk of damaging the rings.

`You can use a cold chisel and a hammer to remove them. Place the chisel on the rear of the crank arm close to the axle. Give it tap - and then do the opposite side. I've done that when I have had ones which have been threaded. It does leave marks though, but perhaps a modified version might not.

Good tools do make a massive difference though reducing the risk of damage, but also just being a joy to use.

Back