Is my stem straight . . .?

moonlite

Kona Fan
On a few recent rides using different bikes, I have started to become obsessed that my stem is a couple of degrees 'off' to the left or right, thus putting my handlebars at a slight angle rather than nice and straight, 90 degrees to the top tube and wheels.

The more I look, the more it seems wrong, although not definitively enough to be absolutely sure. Yesterday I stopped trailside and used my tools to loosen the stem in an attempt to rectify the issue. Again, the more I fiddled with it, the more unsure I was that it was straight. In the end, I over-straightened it and rode home convinced it was now slightly rotated the other way.

It's a minor issue but its recurrence on two different bikes has me wondering:

a) Do you fall victim to this kind of irksome mental bug regarding your bikes?

b) Do you have sure-fire method of ensuring your stems are straight, your cockpit is perfectly aligned, and your mind free to enjoy the great outdoors?

Please help. This could be the beginning of a descent into madness.
vertigo.gif

Last edited:
Always relied on the grip the front wheel with knees and line up technique. It's always looked and ridden right enough.

I believe, but have never watched them, there are techniques and tools demonstrated on youtube for the similarly afflicted to your good self.

Alternatively, if this is a recent obsession perhaps its indicative of something else where you perhaps have less control and is a reaction to it. A smart scolding, "shut up brain - what a daft thing to worry about" repeated a few times when I get the urge is sometimes enough to snap me out of similar issues.

Always relied on the grip the front wheel with knees and line up technique. It's always looked and ridden right enough.

I believe, but have never watched them, there are techniques and tools demonstrated on youtube for the similarly afflicted to your good self.

Alternatively, if this is a recent obsession perhaps its indicative of something else where you perhaps have less control and is a reaction to it. A smart scolding, "shut up brain - what a daft thing to worry about" repeated a few times when I get the urge is sometimes enough to snap me out of similar issues.
Haha -- I also use the knees / front wheel technique but the 'shut up brain' approach will probably be more useful.

I do sometimes look down on my stem and keep doubting myself its straight. But after checking and checking again I know its straight, even if it looks as if it isn't. I turn the wheel at an angle to the bike, this makes the angle more obvious to the eye. (A tip from my more than excellent local builder; m-gineering.nl)

1729667195039.png

When looking down from above I shut one eye at a time - I find this highlights if it's on the pi$$ slightly more one way than the other. No need for a descent into madness!

Back