Is it wrong to ride old?

It's only wrong to ride old well er never. Give it a good thrashing, there are better bikes on here that get a good pounding.

It is wrong however to ride new at a retrobike meet... (unless your name is Andy)

lowtek":33lcefyb said:
Hi all:

I'm in a bit of a dilemma here. In 1995, I bought a beautiful Mountain Goat Whiskey Town Racer. I've never had a bike ride as well nor fit me as it has. This bike is mostly original from when I purchased it and built it up (Caramba Double Barrel Cranks/Ringle Moby Deuce seatpost and stem/Mavic 217 Sunset rims laced to White Industry hubs, etc). However, I admit, I got a bit burned out on riding trails and switched over to road biking a couple years later.

My question is, taking into account that the bike and components are still in good shape (very little internal frame rust), is it "right" to ride it? I look at the bike and feel like it's a sin to even consider putting it through the rigors of the trail.

I know, it sounds like a ridiculous question and perhaps I'm being silly for asking, but at this point the bike is like a member of my family and I don't want to abuse it. However, considering I am a few months out of grad school and terribly poor (try living within the constraints of the American economy) I really can't invest in a new ride right now.

Input please and thanks in advance.

Lowtek,

I personally do not have a modern ride. True, if I had one I would have had no problem with trashing it.

But I don't have one.

You can ride an old rig still. If you fear breaking or damaging something, you could also decide to buy something classic, but of little less -personal and factual- historical significance, to accompany your Goat. Proper blue colour rigid bike with DX or XT components shouldn't cost a significant amount of money. Moreover another reason to retire the Goat from the most demanding rides is that some of the components you mention have a quite limited lifespan compared to for example Deore XTII. This is a factor to take into account, as those parts do represent a certain value and also because it concerns your safety.

ride it

My only ride is a 1989 Giant. I ride it daily with no problems at all. My advice to you is just hit the streets and dirt tracks and if you bend it mend it. Happy thrashing :D

Ride it like you stole it :twisted:

if you break parts, replace them......if you break the frame, clean it up and then look at it.......at least you'll have a story to tell :cool:

thats why its good to own more than one bike, you have the really cool bike, thats your dream bike or a bike with cool parts on you ride on road, on those nice sunny days, and the other lesser bikes you can ride in winter, and still gives you the retro buzz, but with the knowledge that the parts are easier to get.

Simple question, do you ride bikes or do you collect them, it is possible to do both but you must decide.

Riding the bike though is not wrong after all that is its purpose :D

I have a lovely 1991 Main Palisades, nothing amazing but very original and nice condition. Also got a set of NOS Marin tyres on it, but will be using it and love the attention it gets.

Went out today for a blat and stopped off at a bike shop on way home. Rolled the bike in and it looked well out of place amongst the £2k+ bikes on show, but it is nealy 20 years old now.

Bloke in shop said they stopped stocking marins about 10 years ago as they thought they ruled the world...lol, he liked the retro-ness of the Palisades though... :p

Back