Is it me or are there less people taking up Mountain Biking?

mattr":1z83ifle said:
Yeah. Lots of things you've been told are rubbish.

9. Testis cancer

Coldman et al., in a case control study, investigated the relationship between the risk of testis cancer and various sports activities among 133 men with testicular seminoma. After controlling for known risk factors such as cryptorchidism and after stratification for age, they found a significant increase in risk of testicular seminoma in men with history of regular bicycling (odds ratio 1.99), horse riding (odds ratio 3.31) or both (odds ratio 4.56). They suggested that persistent repetitive trauma to the scrotal contents, as well as contact exposure to potential dyes and chemicals present in the leather saddles, may be the underlying cause in the development of testicular cancer in riders [53]. The relationship between exercise and the risk of testicular cancer was also addressed by Forman et al., who found that the risk of testicular cancer decreased with increased amount of exercise and increased with increased sedentary [54]. Therefore, although cycling per-se may be associated with increased risk of testicular cancer in a direct mechanism, the protective effect of exercise against testicular cancer may reduce this risk or cancel it completely [30].

Well that's a right load of balls.

So that actually contradicts you if you read it all.

Re:

Sample size of 133? Plus, all men already had testicular seminoma? Not off to a great start...confounding variables abound.

I also like how the summary wraps up by admitting the health benefits of cycling would likely nullify the increased risk they are claiming. :facepalm:

EggyBum6969":2k7eymft said:
mattr":2k7eymft said:
Yeah. Lots of things you've been told are rubbish.

9. Testis cancer

Coldman et al., in a case control study, investigated the relationship between the risk of testis cancer and various sports activities among 133 men with testicular seminoma. After controlling for known risk factors such as cryptorchidism and after stratification for age, they found a significant increase in risk of testicular seminoma in men with history of regular bicycling (odds ratio 1.99), horse riding (odds ratio 3.31) or both (odds ratio 4.56). They suggested that persistent repetitive trauma to the scrotal contents, as well as contact exposure to potential dyes and chemicals present in the leather saddles, may be the underlying cause in the development of testicular cancer in riders [53]. The relationship between exercise and the risk of testicular cancer was also addressed by Forman et al., who found that the risk of testicular cancer decreased with increased amount of exercise and increased with increased sedentary [54]. Therefore, although cycling per-se may be associated with increased risk of testicular cancer in a direct mechanism, the protective effect of exercise against testicular cancer may reduce this risk or cancel it completely [30].

i know thats why i posted it stop attacking everything i say an do :)
the point was it has been looked into an it swings both ways
it can harm an help, i duno where i read it 1st but the last article i read
said mountain bikers are more likely to suffer then roadies
but i cant remember if that was in a bike mag or online.

it seems like some of you just look for 1 part to aim at to sink the ship
im only trying to raise a point :mrgreen:

The bike companies are confusing the market and customers with the plethora of different niches, wheel sizes etc. People who want to buy a bike and get confused by the bollox spouted at them in the shop.
With a road bike it's easier - what you get is simply a function of how much you want to spend.
I've been riding bikes since before MTBs, got an MTB in the late 80s and dabbled on and off since then. A CX bike rekindled my interest in riding offroad, which has since extended to a 29er, a 29er+ and I'm in the process of getting a 5" fatbike built - it'll be rigid.
For me, riding a bike is about the adventure, regardless of whether it's on tarmac, offroad or a bit of both - simply get out and enjoy yourself and don't get wound-up about what others are doing - life's too short.

monty dog":3jsodtbd said:
The bike companies are confusing the market and customers with the plethora of different niches, wheel sizes etc. People who want to buy a bike and get confused by the bollox spouted at them in the shop.
With a road bike it's easier - what you get is simply a function of how much you want to spend.
I've been riding bikes since before MTBs, got an MTB in the late 80s and dabbled on and off since then. A CX bike rekindled my interest in riding offroad, which has since extended to a 29er, a 29er+ and I'm in the process of getting a 5" fatbike built - it'll be rigid.
For me, riding a bike is about the adventure, regardless of whether it's on tarmac, offroad or a bit of both - simply get out and enjoy yourself and don't get wound-up about what others are doing - life's too short.

x2

monty dog":1mio6a99 said:
+1

Tempted to sig that!

Edit: just did! ;)

Back