Is it a -->1997 or a 1998-->?

Dami

Retro Guru
Feedback
View
Hi guys,

A stupid question, but as a new guy here I think I'm allowed to ask stupid stuff! :D

If I have a -98 frame with pre -97 components, where to locate it? Because most of it are components that probably interests pre -97 hobbyists, but the frame being a -98 might be a horrendous sight for some.. :)

The same also goes for cases with let's say pre -97 frame with -98+ components.

Is there a solution for this huge problem of mine or should I just keep quiet, post them somewhere, and stop asking stupid stuff? :D

Personally I’d stick with the pre 97 section as that’s the heart of the forum in the form of footfall and activity etc and just be a bit respectful

The age old problem with post 97 is it goes all the way up to today which is bonkers as there should be a third section for the big wheelers and phat bikes and modern tat

Re:

Why not swap the components on these two bikes so they are era correct? :LOL:
I'd always go by the frame age, regardless of the component age tbh.

Re:

The latter case was fictive, so that's a no go! :LOL:

Well I'll just live dangerously, post it soon to pre -97, and wait for the Retrobike Special Forces to break through my front door.

I have a 98 bike. No real difference from 97 model plus serial number indicates it was made in 97. I was advised to post in 98 onwards.

No problem for me as my enjoyment of my bikes is not determined by retro definitions. Of my 6 bikes only one qualifies. At least the site allows them to be posted somewhere.

The site & possibly the retro bike scene generally, have their own view on retro. Unlike cars etc it's fixed to a date rather than based on age. So in 21 more years time a 42 year old 1998 bike will not be retro.

Pretty much set in stone I'd of thought because if they ever move the goalposts it'll be a pig of a job to sift thro the 98 onwards section & move the threads already created.

My two pence.

1. The frame is the heart and soul of the bike.
2. The determination of the year is the manufacturer model year, so autumn to autumn (fall to fall).

e.g.
A 1997 model Kona would appear in the 97 sections with most built between 1996 and 1997.
A 1998 model Kona would appear in the 98 sections even though they were built between 1997 and 1998.

Latest posts

Back