Introduce myself

sexysi

Dirt Disciple
Hi,
I'm Simon, 44 years young and been riding properly for the last 9 months. Currently riding about 220 + miles a week on various different bikes.
si

My bikes

My Bikes

Bikes are (In age order)
2012 Bianchi Impulso(Summer commute)
52635.jpg

2002 Peugeot C300 Road bike (Winter commute)
44141.jpg

2000 Scott Vail MTB, Hard tail (OFF Road night rides and day rides at the weekend)
37697.jpg

1980 Raleigh Record (Just rebuilt looks mint in JPS colours)
61138.jpg

Been hovering around the forum for a while, so thought I should say Hi.

si

Depends what you want it for.
For me I used to have one 30 yrs ago when i was a kid and wanted another one. It only will come out on dry days, but I love it.
The Bianchi is a dream bike, but for a Retro bike you can't beat a Raleigh. I love the black and gold scheme to it. It has a great looking 501 frame, however I believe the sprint you are looking at has the 531 tubes, which are better.

For £100 I would need it to be very good condition. There are several checks you can do. With mine again, I needed the GOLD anodised brakes,levers and front crankset. I had to add the Gold brake cables myself. The original wheels on mine were Black, and that is also what i would look out for if you can.

You can still get the original tyres off ebay, which I have but I am running a Mich set that have a yellow banding, again to keep it looking like the original.

If you are going down the lines of a rebuild, then the decals that you have on it are very very rare, I couldn't find any, because my next project will also be a Sprint version. So might have to take photos of them and get them made up.

Also very hard to get the original cassette as it is an 6 speed road version.

And also the cassette, chain and cranset where all Gold as well, although there are 2 versions of the crankset, I have the later version.

There are a couple of catalogue pixs that I have of the different versions of bike, they do look different, can post the pixs up.

Si

I'd want it for riding in summer on dry days, I have my POS bike for wet days.

It's a 501 frame, I'm not knowledgable on bikes but I believe everything is in good condition. Do you think it's worth £100 then or shall I look for a 531 framed bike??

Just had a close look at the picture, and it looks pretty good. Depending if there is any rust anywhere. Bt it has the GOLD brakes/Levers/Later Crankset. It has the 501 tubes, so looks pretty good.
Not sure about the weels, can't see them, but why has the guy not put matching tyres on the thing.
But looks ok for £100, knock him down to £80 and get some new tyres. lol
si

Here is a couple of spec sheets, cat pixs I have found on the bike.

44143.jpg

58450.jpg

This is arecord sprint

55749.jpg

So is this!!!! Different decals and different crank!!!!!!

si

I stand corrected, been having another quick look around and I can't say for sure that there was a 1980's Raleigh record sprint with 531 tubes......
I know there were some 1970's bike's with it but not sure about 1980's. So it might have to be the 501 frame anyway...
:shock:

si

Cheers si!

I'm still not sure whether to get it, I wouldn't be able to knock it down anymore as it was originally £120 but knocked it down to £100. I know the tires look dumb as 2 different colours and Im not sure about the condition of them.

It'd be another £25 to have it delivered so £125 in total. What do you reckon?

And cheers for all that info! Helped a lot :D

I mean it looks in good nick. I suppose if it were me then £100 for a road bike is pretty cheap. It is at the end of the day 30 yrs old. And it will become rarer. Put it this way as i had one when i was a kid, I won't get rid of mine, for any cash.
I do 200+ miles a week between all my bikes the Record getting the least, but only because it has been raining a bit. It will never be my commuter bike, I have the Pug and Bianchi for that, it is more like a 20-30mile (sunny) Sunday morning ride bike, for me, plus my Dad has a new "Orange" Holdsworth and the 2 look good together.

The colour scheme was always cool, and I think it still looks cool now. How many anodised brakes and cranksets do you see these days on new bikes as standard. Espically in Gold. Just reminds me of the JPS 70's racing car colours. lol

Good luck with the decision, as I said before I might get a second a do a fixie version with flate bars. Like this one

1791264111_12cd29715b_z.jpg

How cool does this look.

Si

Back