Interesting Article on the sustainability of bicycles on solar.lowtechmagazine.com/

It's kind of a lost cause as there is a demand for ever more new things , developments , which manufacturers happily exploit to their own ends/profit . Ever was it thus . Unless you can force them to continue making spares which I don't think you can .
a lot of the time people don't want what they need they want what they like . over and above that we're odd , even in the cycling community because we want "antiques" .
It would be good if some form of minimum life expectancy could be forced but , again , I don't think you'd make it stick .

Slightly off pitch but not entirely . I loved using a Dia Compe friction 9/10 speed lever with a 7 speed freewheel and chain . With a Suntour Cyclone 2 the shifting was amazing . But then I live in the stone age{ish}

I just found it fascinating how researchers examining the co2 emmisions of bicycles were able to point out so aptly those two points about steel as a material and the reduced compatibility of parts.

I think that people who own and use old bicycles as well as new ones are becoming aware of this from personal experience, and a lot of us are looking at these developments with growing concern, so to see it reflected in surveys is vindicating.

Last edited:
Slightly off pitch but not entirely . I loved using a Dia Compe friction 9/10 speed lever with a 7 speed freewheel and chain . With a Suntour Cyclone 2 the shifting was amazing . But then I live in the stone age{ish}
Neanderthal right here, I have the Silver shifters and love them, because you can just switch from 7 to 8 to 9 speed cassette when you want to. I now have Dura Ace 9 speed shifters but use them in friction mode.

It's kind of a lost cause as there is a demand for ever more new things , developments , which manufacturers happily exploit to their own ends/profit . Ever was it thus . Unless you can force them to continue making spares which I don't think you can .
a lot of the time people don't want what they need they want what they like . over and above that we're odd , even in the cycling community because we want "antiques" .
It would be good if some form of minimum life expectancy could be forced but , again , I don't think you'd make it stick .
You're right

But I think the sentiment in the article is sort of that there ought to be a shift in the way bicycle manufacturing works today.

I think there is a legitimate to ask the question as to why bicycles enjoyed a much better life expectancy in the past. And now that the consumerist side of bicycling has taken over to the point where its more a luxury item than an actual tool of transportation, there's some questions to be asked. Do we recognise the impact the bicycle could have on a grand scale if they were genuinely produced with longevity, durability and sustainability in mind?

The bicycle to me is deeply political. Yes I love tinkering, yes I love building them up and making them look good. But ultimately I expect all of them to last a ******* eternity. If they don't I'll get very upset.

In most biking communities today changing out your bike every couple of years is normal. And with ebikes you can expect a good few years and then you can probably lease yourself a new one by signing away your kidney.

The shift and acceleration in material development is why life expectancy has shortened . The parameters of what we can achieve if we accept a compromise in longevity . Previously it was pretty much ,,,,,steel , or walk !

Neanderthal right here, I have the Silver shifters and love them, because you can just switch from 7 to 8 to 9 speed cassette when you want to. I now have Dura Ace 9 speed shifters but use them in friction mode.
I love the speed they shift at with a 9/10 pull on a 7 speed . Slick. I struggle to justify flat profiled sprockets , even on older bikes .

And to further my point about the bike being a political stance. I don't have any other forms of transport, it's changed my life for the better, drastically improved my mental health and given me more of an incentive to do things in life. As such I think it's about time we look at the deeper side of bicycling.
Like the old , "people were at their healthiest under war time rationing " quote . People don't always want whats best for them .

I have friction change bikes and I love them, that and fixed is what I grew up with. The change on the indexed bikes I have with a d/t lever or sti is just better. Sometimes progress works and works well. Why anyone would choose friction over indexed when the choice is there boggles my mind.

Back