Interesting Article on the sustainability of bicycles on solar.lowtechmagazine.com/

Did 9 speed meet such a sudden demise because it changed pull ratio from the days of 6/7/8 cross compatibility only to soon after be replaced by a new standard, 10 speed? Sort of no man's land for the 9 speed?
"replaced" is the word that jumps out. Bit simple reasoning, we have ten so who needs 9 anymore. Well, those that bought 9 speed bicycles?

"replaced" is the word that jumps out. Bit simple reasoning, we have ten so who needs 9 anymore. Well, those that bought 9 speed bicycles?
Well, my point wasn't that it is a good thing but my point was that from 9 and onwards the general directions seems to be new cable pull ratios for each iteration with more gears and different chain designs to accommodate, so I'm imagining that 10 will go the same direction soon enough. Its just I thought it was interesting how quickly 9 was diverted towards the eternal lands of obsoletium

And I guess my point also was that 9 was the first in the series of non-cross compatible, proprietary designs

Last edited:
But I wouldn't know and asked as I'm genuinely curious. I ran 9 speed on most of the bikes I grew up with.

Well, my point wasn't that it is a good thing but my point was that from 9 and onwards the general directions seems to be new cable pull ratios for each iteration with more gears and different chain designs to accommodate, so I'm imagining that 10 will go the same direction soon enough. Its just I thought it was interesting how quickly 9 was diverted towards the eternal lands of obsoletium

And I guess my point was that 9 was the first in the series of non-cross compatible, proprietary designs
I see your point, 9 or 10 it all goes in the same direction and quick.

I use 7/8/9 speed a lot, 3spd and 5/6spd friction less often. I tried 10 speed Tiagra and that worked very nicely. I haven't had supply problems for anything yet...

Back when I ran derailleured it was most 8 or 9 speed bikes. When I returned to the world of derailleurs I picked 8 speed due to how cheap it is and even though people are saying these skinnymadinky 10 11 12 13 speed chains are far stronger than singlespeed and 8/9 speeds chains I don't agree. I've ridden singlespeed with various different chains and nothing beats SS and 6/7/8 or 9 speed chains IMHO.

I like 10 speed and 11 speed but it's mostly for the range of the MTB cassettes. With the 46t 8 speed cassette I've got coming I should be sorted.

But to bring it back on track the proprietary nature of things is definitely making bikes less sustainable, and ebikes is the final nail in the coffin for sustainability within the world bicycles. Bicycles are overwhelmingly throwaway items, if you buy a cheaper one, and if you go expensive they're obsolete within a couple of years according to the marketing departments.

I had a Specialized Crux all 105 11 speed great bike, but telling I sold it to my mate within 6 weeks of owning it. Mind you that was more disc brake hate, 11 speed is far pickier though.

I had a Specialized Crux all 105 11 speed great bike, but telling I sold it to my mate within 6 weeks of owning it. Mind you that was more disc brake hate, 11 speed is far pickier though.
The thing is people keeping talking up these 11/12 setups but all it's done is demand higher tolerances within manufacturing with a higher margin for error. I love being able to feel 'in gear' and with 6 7 8, even 9, I get the feeling of being in gear, as the gaps are wide enough to really let the chain settle. With 10 11 12 the gaps are becoming so miniscule which yes, as a result, makes shifting smoother but also more finicky to dial in.

Latest posts

Back