Innovations that weren't...

Kirk frame works. Flex stem works. Biopace works. clips/straps for pedals. Super long seatpost for arse in air positioning. The brifter mtb stuff works. Disc rear wheel works (perhaps with a smiley acid face). Super short handlebars. Bar ends. Brake lever extenders so you could use them from the bar ends. Maybe an upside down suspension fork. Maybe one of the daft spoke patterns for a front wheel. Porcs or Farmer John's tyres. But also add crud claw and those rear mech protectors that used be on everything bitd.

You just described my dream 1990 bike. 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

I'm going to throw in 150mm stems and 500mm bars. My STS is still in its original cockpit set up. The brake barrel adjusters almost touch in the middle. Also "NORBA" geometry.
My first MTB was an 80's Raleigh Maverick. Short stem, riser bars, slack head angle and long wheelbase and chain stays. Then the racers got involved and we adopted road influenced geometry. Great for Americans racing on wide fire roads, crap for technical riding. 35 years later, we are finally back where we started,

The auto shift RD ... try to built a MTB with all the weird stuff ... and buy a teeth insurance. Imagine you stand in the bicycle and it dicides to change ... and the pedal has no load ... and your teeth are no more in you mouth ...

1724064378196.png

Last edited:
Automatic gear change - surely coming to a D-A di2 near you some time soon? The app could learn off your location and shifting history🤣

Last edited:
1985 mullet bicycles. I don´t see many future on this idea ... :rolleyes:This bicycle (the prototype) was design in 1982 (photo of the final product in 1985)and has 6" of travel. And if you wonder why they don´t have front suspension fork it is easy: In that era they haven´t invented yet.

PD it reminds me the RMX7 but you have to have very dirty glasses 🤓

1724065750754.png

Automatic gear change - surely coming to a D-A di2 near you some time soon? The app could learn off your location and shifting history🤣
I was riding an ICE trike with that a year ago.
I think it's https://enviolo.com/ *
Actually worked really nice and I'd buy it if it was cheap. In a world where they made wheels roll over everything, suspension that means you can ride down, over and up anything without having to worry about what it's going over, seats you can drop so you don't get scared, brakes that let you stop when you decide, bars that don't let you go through gates and trees, and generally everything to make it feel and allow to you to just think you're on a tarmacked motorway and enjoy the view and chat. Sod them gears and let me just ride...

(the 4 miles on the flat road in a flat town to go work to pay for the bike I'm using to get there)

*Though I'm sure one of the automatics had a mech hanging off it, think it was Shimano electric, certainly could just about feel it change with on that one but only because you don't take the power of the pedals. I forget to look at the details on that.
EDIT IT was a Shimano XT Di2 Automatic shifting.

Also someone hacked Di2 on here way back 10-14 years ago to do the same.

I was riding an ICE trike with that a year ago.
I think it's https://enviolo.com/ *
Actually worked really nice and I'd buy it if it was cheap. In a world where they made wheels roll over everything, suspension that means you can ride down, over and up anything without having to worry about what it's going over, seats you can drop so you don't get scared, brakes that let you stop when you decide, bars that don't let you go through gates and trees, and generally everything to make it feel and allow to you to just think you're on a tarmacked motorway and enjoy the view and chat. Sod them gears and let me just ride...

(the 4 miles on the flat road in a flat town to go work to pay for the bike I'm using to get there)

*Though I'm sure one of the automatics had a mech hanging off it, think it was Shimano electric, certainly could just about feel it change with on that one but only because you don't take the power of the pedals. I forget to look at the details on that.
EDIT IT was a Shimano XT Di2 Automatic shifting.

Also someone hacked Di2 on here way back 10-14 years ago to do the same.

I've never heard anyone say they liked an auto change on a bike before,
but then a trice isn't technically a bike, and this might make a difference.

Also it might just have held up under novelty value?

I've never heard anyone say they liked an auto change on a bike before,
but then a trice isn't technically a bike, and this might make a difference.

Also it might just have held up under novelty value?
Works really well, people should try them.
I'm not saying they'll be good for technical skill sections*, but general use, XC long rides, perfect. It's like the love of SS, but without the madness.
*At that point you can just press the button and go into manual mode on the Shimano bike. These are eAssist though so a different power profile, not sure how it would be on a none eAssist bike.

Quad chainsets - when you really must have 32+ options.

This lovely example only weighs 1.1kg

Yikes.

View attachment 876817

You're getting ahead of the technical reinventions here. Welcome 13x1 .... why have that dinner plate as rotational mass when they can centralise the mass and produce a perfectly balanced bike?

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back