info on parts? Ariel hubs, Canti's similar to Joe's/graftons

fadetoblack6902

Dirt Disciple
I picked up a gorgeous Ritchey P-21 the other day, and it has a few parts I'm not familiar with. First are the Ariel hubs. I know the name obviously, but can't find any other information about them. Does anyone know these? Model name? Where were they made? etc

Second is the sweeet canti brakes. They look very similar to both Prototype Machining Joe's, Campy Record Or's, and Grafton Speed Lites, but different. The cutouts are much different than the Grafton's, and rounder than the Joe's. The cable end catch's are similar to the Grafton's, but quite different than the Joe's. Mounting hardware and pad retainers are different than both. Also fairly similar to Record OR, but hardware is definitely wrong and cutout is different. Any ideas?

Thanks in advance!

Re: info on parts? Ariel hubs, Canti's similar to Joe's/graf

I've been wracking my brain trying to remember something about Ariel hubs but have come up with nothing. I liked their minimal, unfussy design bitd.
They're featured in this magazine scan from '94, courtesy of gearlessinseattle. Looks like they did a suspension front too. http://www.flickr.com/photos/88469219@N ... otostream/

Those brakes look very familiar, didn't someone else have some similar ones recently that they were trying to identify?

Quote utahdog2003:
''Ariel Bicycle works was a component manufacturer based in Littleton, Colorado in the early 90s, for about 6 years I think. They made road and mountain hubs (pictured in the OP post), a suspension hub, skewers and titanium SPD pedal axles. The rear hubs were 8 speed Shimano compatible and used an XT cassette body. Available in all the fancy colours of the day. I had a set of black hubs and they were lovely to look at and essentially worked as an XT hub would. Pretty nice stuff :cool: ''

Pretty sure the brakes are Gravity Research Rim Crushers

The brakes are indeed Gravity research Rim Crushers. If they ever come up for sale please let me know.

Looks like they mysteries are solved, thanks guys! The Gravity brakes are a real treat. They stop VERY well!

Back