In dire need of help identifying this bashguard!

zeroFOXgiven

Cannondale Fan
826AD48A-9CDF-42F3-8F1D-6C150F04B999.jpeg
I would highly appreciate if anybody could help me identify/find this bashguard.
It might be from Monty’s, i am not sure.
It’s gotta be a 94bcd 5-bolt.
Am stuck finding something that fits and though the one i have would do it’s job, it would look all sorts of wrong:

8708AFE7-5229-46A9-A8AF-834C42981265.jpeg

Please help to save this build from being utterly uglified by my incompetence!

Last edited:
I suspect low volume or custom at the time, but the later Middleburn one would look reasonably close I'd suspect.
Thank you for chiming in!
There I was thinking, there were only Middleburn bashguards proprietary to their own cranks, but thank you, so there are bolt-on ones? Off to the list for my first wanted-post.

Thank you, I really appreciate your help!

I actually think the one on there looks half decent, but may I suggest a few modifications to make it better.

1. When fitted, it would look better if the thin section was behind the crank arm. The CNC bits would be each side that way.

2. Strip the black finish and sand to a finish similar to the cranks.

3. Drill some hokes where the FSA text was after sanding in a nod to the one you have in the main pic. Possibly smaller holes on the opposite side?

4. Have the FSA logos removed from the CNC cut outs if you don't like them.

5. Have the pointy edges removed if you don't like them.

Just thoughts using what you have. May not even cost anything if you can DIY.

You can always just get a similar sized chainring ( with the same BCD) and turn the teeth off of it. If you don't have the lathe & skills, try to find a local machine shop or even better a hobby machinist to do it for you. It would be an easy quick job.

Thanks Lads!
Yeah I’m loving the idea of making it work with something I have. Either a chainring or this bash.
Tried finding a spot where the thin part makes most sense. Unfortunately it won’t go behind the crank arm as this one is originally intended for one with no hidden bolt and the crank hast the 5th bolt under the arm. thinking top front when my chocolate foot is forward. Sanding and drilling sounds like a lovely idea. Thank you!

I did wonder about whether you could hide the thin part behind the crank. Had some similar challenges with a crank with the hidden bolt.

I hope you can make it work, would enjoy seeing the result if you go down that route.

Good luck.

Hi,
before you invest some efforts, time and money (tools) into building something on your own, I would like to just comment that the bashguard used at the nice Cannondale picture above is not so special.

Just search for a bash guard for a Trial bike.
E.g. Onza has it Armstrong bash guard or even complete cranksets with BCD94 including a bash guard
Onza 311R-JrOV6L._AC_SL1500_.jpg
(this is post Onza Retrobike peak times, rather stuff from this century from what ever is remaining from this former iconic brand)

here is a cheap one I had also a while ago from DDG

or another nice looking one at ebay

silver also in saw blade style

Another very nice looking one is currently offered at carousell, but with a LX crankset (and a bit pricey)

last but not least, my favorite, i had the chance to buy this a while ago and have used it for the shortened compact crank on a kidsbike build with a 32T chainring
20210428_130841.jpg
but this is not for sale, nor I do have an idea who has produced it.

Some of those trial bashguards like the one at the Onza cranks from what i can see also at the Cannondale bike, are protecting very small change rings (<30T) mounted than on the inside of of the crank (not the middle position with 94mm BCD but the 58mm inner position).
So if you want an bash guard exactly like the Cannondale you have to run also a very small chain ring only.

E.g. this one is in my opinion too small to protect a chain ring at the middle postion

Last edited:
When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
I'd suspect it was a custom made jobby. We used to do this quite regularly given how much damage they saw.

Here's one I made on a hidden bolt crank, not working as a bash guard anymore, just a spacer. 🤣

20240816_132445.jpg

Latest posts

Back