Import duty from US to mainland Europe?

Re:

I have just brought a proflex carbon 5500 frame second hand and just been hit £43 plus £8 handling fee not happy :cry:

Re: Re:

The risk doing that is it gets lost or damaged, then you're only insured for the declared value...

Stylus":3gczv0sd said:
i hate taxes, i usually ask the seller to mark te value of the package down.

I usually get hit ever time, but recently have had 2 delivered with the charge label attached & I hadn't paid anything :shock: :LOL: .

fridgehq":2gm9w5u4 said:
I have just brought a proflex carbon 5500 frame second hand and just been hit £43 plus £8 handling fee not happy :cry:

Thats cheap :shock: , mine was bought in UK & cost a lot more than that :( .

Stylus":1jxeks70 said:
^that is correct but its a risk i'm willing to take.
Depending on how the transaction is formed, though, it may not be solely your risk to take.

It may be a risk that a seller also bears.

Re:

^fair point, by accepting the risk involved to me that means you can't hold a seller responsible for any financial compensation if things go pear shaped. If youre man enought to ask you should be man enough to deal with the consequences ;)
I dont have a problem with import duties for new items or goods and calculating taxes based on price is fair. However in the case argued the prices are solely based on its collectors value, the item most likely is second hand, old, used and taxes have been paid for the item in the past.. Personally I find that a bit unfair but you know, laws and stuff :?

ishaw":3r65dkw9 said:
I've had a $500 frame get through without anything applied but have had less expensive and smaller items get hit, even something I sent to the states to get serviced I had to pay tax and import duty on. I think postage is also taxed which is a bit of a joke as the person posting the item pays that in the local country anyway.

You or your agent used the incorrect CPC if you paid all the tax on something you sent out for repair. You should have only paid the tax on the repair.

https://www.gov.uk/outward-processing-relief-opr

Back