Imlach's Sweaty Hippie Funk Collection, adventure bikes, rusty rats, cruisers and other alt bastardisations of bicyclery

Why would a rusted frame be a feature?

It's a great question this is. Texture is one answer.

1680125422160.png

Personally think there is a scale. I remember talking to a stone mason here about the definition of "rustic". He said there is "rustic rotten" and "rustic beautiful" . A bit like Patina - there's a structural and aesthetic balance. I think the eye enjoys looking at consistency; an otherwise immaculate frame with one big rust spot is an eyesore and we see it as a blemish.

Some rust spread out fairly evenly everywhere works. Totally rusty also works. Call me weird :D

1680126034341.png

It's a great question this is. Texture is one answer.

View attachment 725871

Personally think there is a scale. I remember talking to a stone mason here about the definition of "rustic". He said there is "rustic rotten" and "rustic beautiful" . A bit like Patina - there's a structural and aesthetic balance. I think the eye enjoys looking at consistency; an otherwise immaculate frame with one big rust spot is an eyesore and we see it as a blemish.

Some rust spread out fairly evenly everywhere works. Totally rusty also works. Call me weird :D

View attachment 725872
Now you’ve shown me these beautiful pictures I’ll take back what I said and say “why would a rusted frame be a feature on some bikes”

But yes sometimes rusted frames do work.

Reactions: Woz
In my mind, rust is a big part of the rat rod movement. Is 'rat rod' not a car thing before it was a bike thing, and derived from 'hot rod' but instead of clean, shiny chrome, it's a hot rod that's been beaten up and left to rust?
I agree with others when they comment about scale. For me, scuffs, marks and even surface rust on a frame can tell a story of the bike's life, and would endear the bike to me, if it's a certain age already, and as long as the rust doesn't threaten the structural integrity of the frame. If I was looking to build a dream bike, a Sunday best, then I would discount anything rusty, and I am horrified when I chip, scratch or otherwise damage a frame that was previously in good condition.

Is 'rat rod' not a car thing before it was a bike thing, and derived from 'hot rod' but instead of clean, shiny chrome, it's a hot rod that's been beaten up and left to rust
This is the first one right here Motorious--7.jpg

Reactions: Woz
Yeah I've seen a few bikes get that treatment as well. I'd bet There's significant overlap between the VW and rat rod bike community. Just followed a guy building this last year:

This has been street furniture just round the corner from me for ages. I assumed it was dumped long ago, but imagine my surprise when I saw the owner riding it a couple of months back. Does the seat have sentimental value? How is the mudguard in such good nick? Is there an underground rusted-klunker scene in 2023?

So many questions.

Attachments

• klunker.jpg
    klunker.jpg
    424.5 KB · Views: 22
Last edited:
One of the guys made a swing bike, and he did it without welding!! 227477-IMG-20230328-172007495.jpg 227479-IMG-20230328-172023991-HDR.jpg
I think someone should make a trail swing bike...

Back