Imlach's Sweaty Hippie Funk Collection, adventure bikes, rusty rats, cruisers and other alt bastardisations of bicyclery

Ok, I've fitted the 18 tooth rear sprocket, the freehub seems to be a bit knackered, but carry on regardless. Had to remove the chain tensioner as it was fowling the freehub!
Took off the mud guards and off I went.
The gearing is better, but, the chain is tight then loose? As the cranks turn?
IMG_20230729_135719.jpg

Ok, I've fitted the 18 tooth rear sprocket, the freehub seems to be a bit knackered, but carry on regardless. Had to remove the chain tensioner as it was fowling the freehub!
View attachment 764264
All SS bikes have varied chain tension as the pedals rotate, but it shouldn't be in excess, certainly not enough to show noticeable slop or for the chain to derail off the teeth. You don't need a tensioner with your dropouts. It's best not to run the chain overly tensioned as well, I prefer a gentle slack on my SS and IGH bikes.

All SS bikes have varied chain tension as the pedals rotate, but it shouldn't be in excess, certainly not enough to show noticeable slop or for the chain to derail off the teeth. You don't need a tensioner with your dropouts. It's best not to run the chain overly tensioned as well, I prefer a gentle slack on my SS and IGH bikes.
I think there's something up with the fit of the BMX chainring, it's a bit off-centre I suspect.

View attachment 764264
Are you sure what you're feeling is not a stiff link or perhaps you've got inadequate torque on the axle nuts? So the axle slips a bit under torque of pedalling?

Alternatively it could be that the chainring / cog isn't perfectly round, so it may be wise to find the tight spot, and tighten the chain in that position, or simply run the chain with less tension

Are you sure what you're feeling is not a stiff link or perhaps you've got inadequate torque on the axle nuts? So the axle slips a bit under torque of pedalling?

Alternatively it could be that the chainring / cog isn't perfectly round, so it may be wise to find the tight spot, and tighten the chain in that position, or simply run the chain with less tension
There's no movement at the axle, it goes tight when stationary and back pedaling.
I'll check the chain for stiffness, then whip the crank off and check for roundness.

Back