I went to the tip on Saturday...

Hmmm, I can see why Shimano stuck the little yellow sticker on the chainwheel; while I was busy looking at that I entirely missed the fact that some superfluous plastic had been glued on to the thing...

Poor old 200GS.

I'm sure many of us had a 1st MTB blighted in such a way.

In the 60's Ford's American V8's were all called Windsor and Cleveland and the like, strong powerful names.
They called the V6 fitted to the base level Mustang the Thriftpower. :LOL:
It has been suggested this was purely done to make folk start ticking option boxes (once you have the V8 get the uprated brakes, and seats and steering wheel etc etc).
I reckon that 200GS was invented to make us upgrade our bikes in a similar way!

gm1230126":2c6vitq1 said:
200GS went away when the US Navy bought the crank production line for producing anchors. Plastic covered steel and heavy.

There is no use trying to sell it to the UK Navy as thanks to Dave, we no longer have any carriers.

its the perfect base for a 'reasonable bicycle of quality'

frame, stem, seatpost are all ok so why not nip over to the FS section and buy up some nicer parts.

If you want to keep it and use it that is.

I'm definitely going to try it for size - the sunshiney colours make me feel cheery every time I look at it and after the karma way that it came to me, it seems rude to send it on. Underneath the light muck, there's not a scratch on the thing...

without looking like an opportunist, I do have a near complete Deore LX groupset and wheels that would look good on this.

Iwasgoodonce":2pj8cob7 said:
There is no use trying to sell it to the UK Navy as thanks to Dave, we no longer have any carriers.
That's because thanks to Gordon, we no longer have any money.

Back