I want to build a clunker or pre-1989 MTB - F+F, parts WTD

james-o

Dirt Disciple
I'm looking for a winter shed project. A pre 1989 MTB that will look right with bullmoose bars, or a Schwinn style cruiser (particularly anything with a supported fork truss) that can be modified, to turn into a fun SS for the summer.

19" modern MTB fit, so around a 20-21" in pre-'87 bikes?

The frame will need semi-vertical dropouts so I can SS it, or I'll fit SS dropouts if it doesn't mean cutting into a nice old frame.

Ideally a US brand, but something in the Overburys or original Saracen style would also be nice.

Not looking to pay a lot for a classic collector's piece, more a slavage or restore project that needs some work. Would pay fair price for the right frame / bike tho.

Also interested in suitable parts but without the frame I'm not sure what I need. Bullmoose bars and stem would be good, old cantis, big brake levers to start with.

Got anything interesting? It'll be going to a good home!

Thanks
James

I had a Raleigh around that level / era.. : ) good times. After something a bit higher spec for this build but thanks for posting it up

I'm sorry, did I miss the size? I have a very small early to mid-80's Specialized Stumpjumper, with 24" wheels, front and back. I can sell it whole, or as a frameset with vital parts.

james-o":mnmjx5t2 said:
No you didn't mis the size - I did.. just edited + added that vital info now.

Ah!
Yeah, mine would be a winy lil clown bike for you. Good luck with your search :)

Back