I see bike companys do the same thing in there advertisments

JeffGothro

Dirt Disciple
I got a wild hair up my butt and thought I might like to take up archery/bow hunting, well, to be honest, I dont know the first thing about the bow other than it shoots arrows and I've only used cheap 20$ play/practice bows.

So, I went to a site about choosing a good compound bow for the new person just starting out, and the person who wrote artical had a few things you should think about before buying a bow - and I found what he said companys do and say certain things to sell you on there product I see bike companys do all the time...well, just read it, I've put in BOLD the same things I see bike companys do.

Additionally, if any new bike buyers are thinking about buying a new bike you might be wise to take some advice from this bow artical when buying a new bike - bike companys use fancy buzz-words too.

Just replace the word "bow" with the word "bike".

Undoubtedly, the modern compound bow is a fantastic hunting weapon. But let's try to keep things in some reasonable perspective. Before you're swayed by an advertising campaign promising exclusive-technology and predatory bliss, try to keep in mind that the compound bow is still a relatively simple device. The compound bow is constructed from readily available materials, it has only a handful of moving parts, and it isn't yet micro-processor controlled. So there's only so much technology which can realistically be applicable to the design and production of a compound bow. However, most bows are specifically marketed as a "high-technology" product. Why? Because bow companies know what modern bowhunters want the most - an edge - particularly a "technological edge". Bowhunting has a historically low success rate, so it is no surprise that compound bow advertising campaigns focus on offering bowhunters a "technological" advantage - even if it's a little stretch of the truth. They also know that outdoor product consumers love big scientific words and impressive acronyms. So beware. Your new compound bow could be packaged with a few Ultra-Lite Hyperpolyresin fibers of CBT (cock-n-bull technology).

Source - http://www.huntersfriend.com/bowselection.htm/

As an archer and cyclist I would say the same advice applies when buying equipment that is new to you and unfamiliar: Find a really good dealer, with a good reputation.

A friend of mine is into archery, he got bored with all the modern stuff with sights, couterbalances and doohickeys and now shoots retro style bows (see what I did there) and reckons it's much more satisfying. He makes his own arrows and has had a go making his own bows, but without much success yet.

Back