I hope it won't break...

those taps look like M10x1.25, did you just use the handle and an m10x1mm tap? or have they changed the threads on modern derailleurs or something?

those taps look like M10x1.25, did you just use the handle and an m10x1mm tap? or have they changed the threads on modern derailleurs or something?
Good eye! Yes, just used the handle. I went to annoy a mate so he could find the right ones.

Just in case you have an allergy to taps, for about £10 you can buy a steel derailleur "thread saver"
View attachment 887715
You drill the hole out and press it in from the back. I've got some in a drawer somewhere, but they were much more popular before the advent of the replaceable gear hanger - especially on early aluminium.
Still use them occasionally on wrecked steel frame d-hangers.

Luckily of course the thread is M10x1, so a neighbour might have a tap handy👍
I used to make my own of these using a axle nut spun in a drill and filed down to a top hat.
then I made them on the lathe for a while.

20240925_082205.jpg
Saved many an early aluminium frame, and crashed steel ones - we don't use them much now in the days of the replaceable hanger but occasionally they save a frame from the scrappy.

Today was finally the day, I brought the taps and time with me to the workshop.
View attachment 887671
Careful now...
View attachment 887672
I think it all worked. The rear deraillieur could be fitted.

I think I now also know why 1x12 was cheaper than 1x11.... adjusting the whole thing is quite a challenge (at least more than I thought) and it still doesn't work satisfactorily.

But anyway, here is the result of about 70 hours of work.
View attachment 887674View attachment 887673View attachment 887675
It can certainly be done quicker if you know what you're doing.

I'm really happy with it!

I only rode a short lap today and I have to say it already feels different than all my other bikes.
It's most comparable to my Univega. But while the Univega feels nervously soft, the Bambusbike feels comfortably soft, if that makes any sense to you
When I first got on it also made some cracking noises and I thought it was broken....until I realised that it was the old saddle...

More test rides to follow...

Interesting thread, thank you.

Great results too :cool:

Back