I dropped my frame.....

lee.leggett

Dirt Disciple
Well, I have spent the last 3 weeks, sanding and preping my Claud Buttler Alpine Frame for painting. After around 10-12 coats of primer and paint, and hours of sanding to get that smooth finish, I today added the final few coats of laquire.... It looked better then new.

(And then i dropped it when moving it.. All that time and effort wasted, the paint is scratched and chipped in places, lucky really as there was not dents on the frame, just damage to that perfect paint.

The sander will be out again this weekend and I have to start all over again.

Gutted..

I recently restored a cannondale r1000 road bike .....the day of completion arrived and following a wash/polish I stood it at the end of the garden to admire.......it blew over,falling onto a small wall and put a massive dent in the paper thin down tube........I still haven't really recovered!....... :eek:

FluffyChicken":2kwb8cm3 said:
touch it up, it'll only happen again.

Doesn't sound like the paint is very tough though, if it's flaking.

Keep us up to date with some pictures :) it is gutting when a new paint job gets damaged so soon. Don't mind so much if it's when riding like a stone flying up

The trouble with lacquer paint is that it chips way too easily, which is why cars and bikes meant for the street (as opposed to for show only) are usually painted with a hardened enamel, rather than lacquer. I have used spray can paint jobs before and just plan on touching up the chips when they happen. If you have access to a spray booth, then try using catalyzed enamel and the paint will last much longer and be many times tougher and chip resistant.

feetabix":27nku8wr said:
I recently restored a cannondale r1000 road bike .....the day of completion arrived and following a wash/polish I stood it at the end of the garden to admire.......it blew over,falling onto a small wall and put a massive dent in the paper thin down tube........I still haven't really recovered!....... :eek:

If you're real unhappy about this, it sure can be fixed.

Some years ago I fixed a dent in a Klein Aeolus downtube, by pushing it back out with a hefty hydraulic pressure from the inside.

Back