i can,t get my rear wheel to sit central in the frame

Give it an LGF kick :LOL:

3072018472_80885c67da.jpg

pics would help,
but im guessing its somthing to do with the spacing on the rear axle,
post some pics and im sure somone on here can sort your problem, does the wheel fit okay in another frame ?

Hey,

Make sure the wheel is firmly placed in the 2 drop outs and pushed all the way home in the dropouts.

If the wheel is still not centred one of 2 things are going on.

1) The wheel is not "Dished" to the frame and will require you to tighted the spokes on one side to "Pull" the wheel over to the centre. If your not comfortable doing this - you will need to take to bike to a local shop who have a good wheel builder. if you over tighten the spokes you can damage the rim beyond repair and break spokes.

But before you go any of the above. Check the frame ins't bent. Tie a thin piece of twine around one dropout and pull it around the head tube at the front of teh bike and back to the other dropout. Now measure the distance between the seat tube and both sides of the string. the distance should be exactly the same. if its out the frame is bent. If its 100% the wheel is not dished to the frame.

let me know if you need any additional details.

ken.

You missed;

3) The locknuts can torque themselves undone over time. It looks like the wheel's badly dished but actually it's the axle all skewiff. Use it as a good excuse to service the hub, and then put it back with the axle in the right position.

Common sign of this problem is that there's not enough axle left showing to actually get it through the slot in the dropout*.

*How do I know this? In one of my less glorious moments and desparate to get out for a ride I fitted a wide-ish wheel to a narrow-ish frame. To make it fit I removed the locknuts on the basis that the Q.R would hold everything in place.

im the exact opposite my axle is dead long and it keeps tightening up on the bearings the frame is a1 also

Try putting the wheel in the wrong way round, with the freewheel on the left. If you still have the same problem, then the finger of suspicion points at the frame. If you have the same problem, but it's now on the other side, then it's the wheel that's at fault.

Wheel within 1mm of frame is pretty extreme. If it's a steel frame, it's quite feasible to straighten it with the Sheldon method, but I wouldn't fancy your chances if it's a Zaskar.

its a alloy avalanche and ive had one before and had the same problem so i think its just gts are :shock: :cry: :cry:

Back