Hush please..... some respect is due for Shimano XT

XT is my ideal standard on a MTB it is a shame that none of my current MTB's have any XT kit on them. I also love XT hubs. Cheap and last for ever as far as I can tell.

misteroo":13hemjwh said:
M737 front and rear mechs...just love em. I have been using the same rear mech for about 18 years now....just need to change the jockey wheels now and again. Tried an XTR on the rear, but swapped back within about an hour!!!!

And I have XT Hollowtech 2 cranks and BB...the guy in the shop said, I should spend a few extra quid on the Hope BB as the XT one wont last ONE muddy ride!!...hasn't done massive miles, but has seen lots of mud, water and dust...still super smooth.

:cool:

Latest Update:

Just added some M739 shifters........the XT love continues... :cool:

L1000981-resized-1.jpg

khs6962.jpg

Can never quite remember but think my XTs all M739, apart from the crank that is the glorious M737.

When I was a student and scraping grant money (yes kids, those used to exist) together to buy MTB bits I'd dream of XT. XTR was always hideously expensive and there were always rumours (prob from grumpy poor students) of it being a bit dodgy. BITD I can't remember even seeing XTR apart from maybe occasionally on the Elite racers at meetings.

Never had a problem with XT, always been solid, reliable, imo better looking than it's XT counterpart. And remember that BITD it wasn't cheap either; rear mechs seemed to cost a bomb (which is why I never got beyond and LX rear mech).

Love XT though - more than happy to have a full groupset on the Zaskar. :)

dbmtb":2pt5rbc6 said:
Only XT I still have is M732-5.

There's nothing to not like about it. More of a workhorse than poncy M900..

I agree…
The XTII groupo is my favorite and still my favorite. Before XTR came, the best bikes was equiped with it.
When I built a bike with it, it's working without adjusts. The thumbshifters are still working after years and years. It's very strong and iconic for a real mountain bike. in comparison, XTR is too boring, not "rock'n roll enough" :LOL:

Although I'm not one to gush on a particular brand, and don't have a particular brand "religion", I do agree that the M739 group drivetrain is pretty decent and worth a tip 'o the hat.

Not sure which I appreciate more, their longevity, or their continued availability on e-Bay/Craigslist 12 years post-model year.

The art of keeping an older ride alive is superb maintenance, ones own stock of spare parts, and the patience, tenancity, and skill at finding the spares, especially NOS, and the foresight to start accumulating before they become so rare as to bankrupt you (or a fat wallet and somebody to do it for you).

Once you've got your favorite ride, it damned hard to give it up. I'm not sure, but I think there is money to be made should someone decide to do a limited new manufacturing run of some of the older XT and XTR groups.

Latest posts

Back