How hard (moreso costly) is it to put a modern drivetrain on a vintage mtb?

That's all individual. You're my height, I ride anything but I make it fit with stem/bar/saddle combinations. I'm not aware of diamondback sizing but I'd guess it is slightly on the large side for you, best to measure up and get an idea of what feels right for you, as you don't want the reach to be too long. The standover height should be OK. I'm guessing you're not chucking yourself down mountainous rugged trails.

*note I've got longer legs and arms shorter than a dinosaur so.... ymmv
I'm 5'10" and my bikes are 16" GTs, they give me ample room to play around with different stem set ups, although the seat posts are all about the same height for my 34" inside leg. I have a short torso, being female. So medium frame maybe too short for male riders. I have a couple of late 90's GT's with different set ups.
One of them is a BMX conversion with a 1x 9 set up, the gearing on this bike is 34 tooth front narrow wide chainring (Shimano XT hollowtech cranks) and the cassette is 11-34 and this makes for a great climb up the hills in Sheffield!
My other late 90's bike is a '99 GT Tequesta with a more standard 3x8 set up but a wider range than the 1x9 set up.
This bike is advertised in the post 1998 section for sale.

I'm 5'10" and my bikes are 16" GTs, they give me ample room to play around with different stem set ups, although the seat posts are all about the same height for my 34" inside leg. I have a short torso, being female. So medium frame maybe too short for male riders. I have a couple of late 90's GT's with different set ups.
One of them is a BMX conversion with a 1x 9 set up, the gearing on this bike is 34 tooth front narrow wide chainring (Shimano XT hollowtech cranks) and the cassette is 11-34 and this makes for a great climb up the hills in Sheffield!
My other late 90's bike is a '99 GT Tequesta with a more standard 3x8 set up but a wider range than the 1x9 set up.
This bike is advertised in the post 1998 section for sale.
I lived in sheffield for a couple of years.

Some of those hills in sheffield were mad especially the thought that a city is just plonked on top of all of it.

Machester almost no hills. Sheffield almost all hills. Leeds a good mix of gradients.

Back