HOW DO YOU BUILD YOURS..?

sinnerman

BoTM Triple Crown
BoTM Winner
BoTY Winner
PoTM Winner
Kona Fan
Just thought it might be an interesting question.

When you find your Chosen frame, do you buy NOS, or do you buy a bike and strip the parts and reassemble on your new steed..? Do you clean it and throw it on? or take time to polish and clean and fettle..?

And am i the only one that cleans and polishes after every outing..?( :oops: )

I normally buy bikes whole, stop the bits I want and sell on the rest. Big yes to grinding, sanding and polishing alloy parts. Bench polisher best thing I ever got for bikes and parts.

Re:

Done all sorts over the years and not really buying anymore but my usual route has been either buy a stock bike and clean it up or buy a bike for a specific part then sell the rest on. This method has left me with a couple of mint groupsets and parts that are ready to go on a chosen frame.

I usually buy in mint condition, full strip and after severar weeks working on it they look brand new and that is a problem: there are lot of dust on the paths :roll:

So my next built will be similar but not in perfect condition, something to use.

Buy the frame and forks, perhaps wipe it down, replace headset if necessary.

Then throw any old stuff from the "tat" build box on it. Get it road worthy.

Then go for a test ride and fettle. See how it feels.

If it's promising it get's a full strip down and re-build with decent kit, if not it
goes under the hammer PDQ.

Just to add, the decent kit get's the full treatment, polished etc. I generally don't
clean bikes that much, just rebuild them. :facepalm:

Woz":haxx3hlj said:
Buy the frame and forks, perhaps wipe it down, replace headset if necessary.

Then throw any old stuff from the "tat" build box on it. Get it road worthy.

Then go for a test ride and fettle. See how it feels.

If it's promising it get's a full strip down and re-build with decent kit, if not it
goes under the hammer PDQ.

Just to add, the decent kit get's the full treatment, polished etc. I generally don't
clean bikes that much, just rebuild them. :facepalm:
+1

I generally find a frame I'd like to try, buy reasonably good condition or the odd NOS parts, clean, polish and fettle til it works properly, ride it a few times, decide it's to nice to ruin and not worth anywhere near what I've paid out, shove it in the garage and go back to my modern bikes! Then I'll spot something interesting on ebay, and so it begins again. :shock: :oops: :D

For the most part I avoid buying nos parts because I end up keeping them in a drawer and not using them! I prefer to buy things in decent working order and clean and polish them before fitting to the bike. I’m quite partial to a donor bike as it is usually better value.

Re:

Find a beautiful frame.... Find a donor..... Create a gorgeous bike

Not really into buying someone else's masterpiece or nos parts

Have bought NOS parts for bikes before, they are still NOS now as i wont use them, so now only buy used parts, good condition is nice but good price is nicer. Finding a complete donor bike is a bonus obviously but then you usually get stuck with a frame.

All my bikes i build to ride and spend too much time sourcing parts to then have to fix them so good working condition is important also.

Back