How best to tidy up scuffed cranks?

Edav97

Dirt Disciple
Hi all,

I got these Middleburn cranks recently and I’d like to tidy them up a bit. How’s best to do this to maintain the original finish?

and a side note, which middleburns are these and what sort of age?

Attachments

• IMG_9852.jpeg
    IMG_9852.jpeg
    758.5 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_9853.jpeg
    IMG_9853.jpeg
    729.5 KB · Views: 26

Take a look at this....

Getting back to factory is not all that easy as they use industrial processes.

You can polish up to 3000 grade then a bit of mothers...that will give you a non mirror finish....but you have already gone through the original finish...hence the bright bits..so saving it is going to be a non starter really.

Polishing with wet and dry works well.

It removes all of the original finish which is the only way to go when they are showing that kind of wear.
Once the original finish is compromised I prefer to aim for a mirror finish, as this will offer the best protection against future corrosion.
A coarser grit will leave a more satin finish.

m730 crank.jpg

Thanks for the replies everyone! I’m not too bothered about getting them perfect. I’m wondering if taking some fine wire wool or scotchbrite to them would knock down the scuffs then a rub down with T-cut will give them a decent finish.

I don’t really want them polished, I prefer the brushed look anyway…

I did a set of middleburns by polishing them using the usual process and then using scotch pads. Then I added the logo back using a black paint fine tipped pen

Rubbing sanding paste (the one used to wash greasy hands) with water has worked well for me with seat posts. It removes most of the small stuff, and makes the bigger stuff less visible, while not affecting the overall finish.

Back