Hit a cyclist today...

Rampage

Retrobike Rider
Feedback
View
A cyclist rode out in front of me today and was hit by my car.
Luckily everyone was ok.
I was driving along at 20mph, possibly slower as I'd pulled out of a side road slightly before and there are speed bumps etc. I saw the cyclist ride past a car that was waiting at a junction on the left as I was going straight on, I saw he didn't look so braked hard, I think I had pretty much stopped as he went across in front of me, as he didn't get pushed out of the way or knocked over. He was very apologetic and said it was completely his fault.
My car only had paint marks from his bike (like a powder) and a few scratches. So I was prepared to leave it. His front wheel was a bit buckled. The bike was a newish looking Carrera Kraken. At some point he completely changed (when he decided he needed a new wheel) and said "it's your word against mine" also he said I was indicating to turn into the junction I was turning out of, which was untrue.
He didn't ask for my details (didn't even think about it) but he took my registration as he rode off on his bike.
I have reported it to the Police and tomorrow will report it to my insurance company.
I think he'll be going to a No Win No Fee place with a fabricated story judging by his last words.
Pretty much ruined my first day off in weeks.

Any advice? Anything else I should do?

Check for CCTV where you were. Photos of your car. Write a statement to yourself ASAP don't wait for reporting. Write his comments verbatim.

And don't worry. Like he said, your word against his.

I don't suppose anyone stopped and witnessed it?

If not might be worth returning to same place same time tomorrow to see if you see any familiar faces/cars.

make as many notes as possible, record the weather, parked car details, volume of traffic, take a photo of the junction and make a sketch of the junction and what happened etc

you mentioned a car at the junction, that he undertook - did they not stop and investigate all was ok? would be a good witness if you have any way of contacting them

all the best on this one, just shows that it's not just motorists that are prats sometimes

I've re-read your post a few times mate and cant work out from it what happened, it sounds like the rider was coming out from the road on the left and went past a car sitting waiting to come out, so then I guess the rider crossed the dotted lines on the junction and still came out, where you and he bumped. Whatever happened as other said, write it down clearly a few times to make sure it makes sense to another reader and draw a picture of the roads/cars / positions to show it. Also note down road conditions and of course if you have any witnesses, fab.

Other than that you're doing it right, you've reported it and will mention it to the insurance company, my only caution might be the latter as it might set a rabbit away with them and they might note it as an accident and put your policy up. just be weary there. after all the guy might not make any claim at all... just a thought. others might have better experience there.

I've been riding mtb/road for 20+ years and always sided with the cyclist but recently I pulled out of a junction and bumped a cyclist. It was dark and the muppet had the crappest excuses for lights I've ever seen, held together with gaffer tape. I looked and failed to see him. No injury, no damage but it certainly made me think next time I got on a bike!

Re:

How much is a new front wheel for a Carrera? I really don't see a "No win, no fee" place as being likely to be interested. The risk to you is that your insurance company will decide to pay for a new wheel as the cheapest solution and you'll lose your no-claims bonus. Which has to be unlikely given the information you've given the insurance company.

More: as long as he admits that you were driving straight on, it's hard to come up with a situation where he wasn't the one at fault. The line about your indicating incorrectly requires his word to be taken over yours and, even then, use of an indicator is not a binding commitment - it's a warning to the traffic in the lane you might turn into, no more.

It's hard enough for cyclists to claim in accidents where they are doing so legitimately and the evidence is on their side - I really wouldn't worry about this. Just write everything down you can, including his threat to make a fraudulent claim and pass it on to the insurer, keeping a copy for yourself. The chances are that this will involve anything more than his contacting the insurer and their telling him to get lost - and that they have a policy of investigating fraudulent claims and cooperating with the police - are probably remote.

Re:

Section 69 of The Road Traffic Act :
Anyone choosing to purchase a Carrera bicycle is defined by law as a Numpty and can therefore be afforded no
protection under the law.... in fact motorists are quite within their rights to knock them off deliberately :)

Re: Re:

PurpleFrog":3re8jsdz said:
The line about your indicating incorrectly requires his word to be taken over yours and, even then, use of an indicator is not a binding commitment - it's a warning to the traffic in the lane you might turn into, no more.

A flashing indicator is indication that the indicator works, and nothing else.... while a no flashing indicator more often than not represents that its NOT working :roll:

3. Road junctions (170 to 183)
Take extra care at junctions. You should
not assume, when waiting at a junction, that a vehicle coming from the right and signalling left will actually turn. Wait and make sure
You MUST give way to traffic on the main road when emerging from a junction with broken white lines across the road.
Laws RTA 1988 sect 36 & TSRGD regs 10(1),16(1) & 25
He didn't give way, which is a criminal offence. I hope he turns himself in. :)

I'm just a tad confused.........so the cyclist emerged from the left (minor road), crossing the broken white lines and hit you?

Shaun

Back