"Hippie Daredevils" Indeed!

Repack Rider

Senior Retro Guru
Ran across this article that includes me and many of my friends. I like the idea that I'm a "hippie daredevil"

But an even better name comes from a Spanish magazine, Iberobike, who dubbed me "El Rockero del MTB."

Yet another title, "Oracle." For some reason, Joe Breeze hung that one on me.

Here is a YouTube link to footage shot around 1980 that includes me, Joe Breeze, Denise Caramagno, Wende Cragg and Erik Koski. When you see it, you will realize what stunning beauties Denise and Wende were.

Finish with a photo shot at the book signing during the recent Interbike trade show. Unlikely you will get these Four Horsemen to pose like this again. If you don't know who they are already, naming them won't help you. The bike is mine, "Breezer #2."

show_daily_zps26fdbab3.jpg

Re:

Fantastic! Thanks for sharing.
Cool sound track on the video (although at first I did wonder exactly what I was going to see appear on my screen :shock: :LOL: ).
You're not wrong about Denise & Wende though.
Great to see the mountainbikes being used, instead of the more usual photo stills.

Re:

That's a nice video and the earliest mtb one I've seen. I'm guessing Breezer bike No 1 is in the Smithsonian or some dedicated cycling museum.

Re: Re:

M-Power":1s1b6xl6 said:
That's a nice video and the earliest mtb one I've seen. I'm guessing Breezer bike No 1 is in the Smithsonian or some dedicated cycling museum.

It is indeed in the Smithsonian collection, along with my racing jersey from 1972. My bike, "Breezer #2," is in the Marin Museum of Bicycling/Mountain Bike Hall of Fame.

All these photos and articles on Interbike are making me really jealous of all those were there ... :(

Re:

Aw man, some great links there! That really is a rare line up. Thank you to all you beautiful "hippie daredevils" for inspiring such a rich heritage of awesome iconic bikes and riding scene. Spent most of the night trawling through the archives and watching clips of the "Crested Butte to Aspen Klunker Classic 1980, Parts 1 & 2". Feel fired up to get on the bike as soon as it gets light tomorrow.

Re:

Those pioneer care free trail blasting days got lost in the commercial drive that took off in the late 80s. Not that I'm complaining, I was selling shed loads at the time :LOL:

Having your pride and joy in the same collection as the Wright brother's first plane...well...it doesn't get any cooler than that :cool:

Re:

hi,

I´m Angel, the reporter who did the article in Iberobike.

When I have some time I plan to go to California and make a better story about you and your gang. And it will be in English and Spanish.;-)

Thanks for spreading my report.

Angel.

Back