Highpath No.01 by Dave Wrath-Sharman *SOLD to a RetroBiker*

somerled

Dirt Disciple
OK. I want a new project or three as my Highpath resto has given me the retro bug, so I'm testing the water here.

SEE HERE for the full story of a labour of love restoration.

The spec for this important piece of British off road biking history is as follows:

Year : 1985

Frame: Custom made Highpath by Dave Wrath-Sharman, triple triangle in a mix of Columbus chromoly tubes, nickel bronze welded with a small fillet. Intergral rear rack by Dave Wrath-Sharman
Fork: Custom made 531. Shallow fabricated fork crown with oval tandem 531 fork blades. The fork ends are socketed
Headset: Shimano STX
Stem: Light alloy double stem, 4 bolt 100mm extension,
Handlebar: 1980’s BMX courtesy of Retrobiker ‘i believe in fixies’
Grips: Outland Enduro kraton lock-ons
Barends: none

Brakes: Dave Wrath-Sharman swing cam (SC) drum brakes. Custom made and updated to SC Mk4 spec in 1990.
Brake Pads:
Brake Cables: renewed
Cantilever cable hangers:
Brake Levers: Yamaha TY 175 short

Shifters: Suntour Thumbies thanks to Retrobiker 'jamabikes'
Front Derailleur: Suntour XCE Accushift
Rear Derailleur: Shimano MegaRange
Derailleur Cables: renewed
Cassette: 6 speed Shimano MegaRange SuperLow 32t
Chain: Shimano Hyperglide
Cranks: Shimano Deore Dynadrive
Crank Bolts:
Chainrings: Suntour Microdrive 30t - 42t
Chainring bolts:
Bottom Bracket: The BB shells are very wide at 110mm and offset to the left with bearings on 90mm instead of 50 mm centres. A batch of 140mm EN24t crank axles were specialy made for the Highpath. Updated in 1990 using a modified 135 TA axle
Pedals: Alloy platform

Hub Skewers:
Wheels: The wheels were built with 13/14 single butted stainless spokes and employing a unconventional one-cross spoke pattern - only possible due to the large spoke flange diameter - to full box-section eyeletted 650B Mavic rims
Hubs: Dave Wrath-Sharman Mk4 marine spec anodised. To quote DWS - "they cost me a fortune"
Nipples:
Spokes: 13/14 single butted stainless
Tyres: 54mm Nokia SL-35 or Hakkapellita studded
Tubes:
Saddle: Brooks B17
Seatpost: Highpath
Seatpost Binder:

Weight: ?

The Highpath comes with Nokia SL-35's fitted as well as a pair of almost new tungsten carbide studded Nokia Hakkapellita's (impossibly rare) , a pair of amber wall 650B Michelins and a pair of black 650B Michelins.

I have lots of correspondence which illustrates this Highpath's provenance. It really is an investment you can ride!

The Highpath comes with Nokia SL-35's fitted, a pair of almost new tungsten carbide studded Hakkapellita's, a pair of amber wall 650B Michelins and a pair of black 650B Michelins.

Looking for a UK mainland delivered price of c.£ 1000.00 I would take a Zaskar or similar in px (or a Beta Techno 250), but make me an offer as I'm happy to haggle.

Geoff Apps himself has said of my bike:

"That's a terrific restoration!

Do remember to get in touch if you're going to bring it down to the borders.

Well done!"

Attachments

• Highpath first outing 3.JPG
    Highpath first outing 3.JPG
    100 KB · Views: 2,201
  • Highpath first outing 1.JPG
    Highpath first outing 1.JPG
    103.1 KB · Views: 2,200
  • Highpath first outing 5.JPG
    Highpath first outing 5.JPG
    88.1 KB · Views: 2,199
  • Highpath first outing 8.JPG
    Highpath first outing 8.JPG
    98.6 KB · Views: 2,200
Having had a fair bit of interest in my Highpath I'm now open to 'sensible' offers and I'm happy to take something in part exchange.

So, if you really want to own a piece of British history get in touch. I'm more than happy to haggle. ;)

cheers

Have an "if only" bump - I think it is splendid (and I knew nothing of them until I saw yours!).

Selling something rare is one thing. Selling somthing of which it is almost certain you can NEVER find another is a whole different game. I only did the latter once and I wow do I regret it!

Back