hi guys - and i have questions................ loads of em

chrissy h

Dirt Disciple
Feedback
View
hey guys an gals :)

as im new here i thought what better way to get started than to just bound straight in with some stupid questions :LOL:

1st Q (for now :? )

how do you (i!!) fit a pair/set of RST hi 5 t/clamps ??
i just assumed that you'd slide off the top yoke (crown ?), fit the forks, lob the top crown back on and off you go

but no !!!!

the black plastic 'bits' under the adjusters on top of the fork legs stop the crown coming off 'upwards' so do i have to dismantle (oooer!!) the forks in order to fit them ??

i (now) realise these aint partically good forks but all im looking to do is put something together for some (very) gentle lane/ bridlepath type riding to help try to fight my shocking fitness level and expanding waist line :shock:

maybe this is a good time to explain that all this is very new to me - the last bike i tinkered with was my new Grifter back in the early 80's so iv been a tad confused with all the names of things..... bottom bracket/ group sets/ chain stays/ skewers etc !!!!!

anyhow, i wont bore you any futher just now, hopefully someone will be kind enough to shed some light on the forks for me

thanks all :D

un screw the adjuster/elastomer stack from the fork leg
pull it out and then the top yoke is removable
cant remember but i think a 22mm spanner does the job

welcome btw

thanks fella

i did start unscrewing one of them but did it back up quick incase i got speared in the forehead by a spring powered adjuster :shock:
i'll scuttle off to the shed and have another look,

thanks again

A set of HI5s aren't a good idea for that sort of riding. For gentle riding, you'll just be bobbing about all over the place and not actually moving forwards very fast!
Plus there's the fact that most frames may struggle with the extra forces exerted by a triple clamp fork and you may end up ripping the head tube off!!
Plus there's also the other fact that the chances are, the bike won't be designed for forks with that amount of travel, so the bike will handle terribly. I.e. the front wheel will always want to 'pull' to one side or the other, making it very difficult to ride in a straight line!

Just use a set of basic rigid forks until you start riding faster and harder, then get a good set of 100mm or so forks :)

ride it if it's crap change it

it will only wreck your frame if your jumping off bus shelters and the like

jumping off bus shelters ?? jumping off a low kerb is rad for me :LOL:

i'll give them a try as iv already got em but thanks for the warning, if my ridings worse than normal i can at least blame the bike :D

i got some rockshox judys (also not the best i know but..) in the shed so i can always swap em over after a wobbly test ride :cool:

Back