Help with first sort of classic project (please)

hillsprinter

Dirt Disciple
Hello,

I'd like to grace the forum with my first (sort of) classic bike. Its a 1984 Gazelle Cross Trophy that I bought as-is: NOS frame, but el cheapo parts.

Photos can be seen here (sorry about average quality):
http://www.flickr.com/photos/41284201@N05/sets/72157624817698912/

Which brings me to my dilemma. I've ridden this bike, and although its not really roadworthy (the tyres have totally had it), I think it rides beautifully. So I'd like to do it justice and rebuild it to a slightly better standard, but I'm a complete amature, at this - I'm not sure where to start.

I'd like to invite suggestions from the forum on the whole lot basically - from wheels, groupset, to finishing kit. I'm also happy to buy parts from forum members if you think you have any bits/pieces that you don't need, but might suit this frame. Thanks very much in advance for any suggestions :)

Frankly it doesn't look as though it needs much - it already has nice cranks, shifter etc. All I'd swap is the rear mech (which is a ghastly thing) and redo the gear cable - the outer to the bars is too short, hence the strained bit by the frame lug.

The just ride and enjoy!

I'd echo that as well. Looks fine to me - apart from that rather cheap and cheerful rear mech. Look for a 105 or 600 Shimano, should work OK with the single chainring

I've a really nice 105 rear mech (1050 series) which would be a reasonable fit. £12 posted.

I'd bought it for my son's Islabike to replace a worn out SIS one, but it's too nice to get trashed...

Attachments

• sale road.JPG
    sale road.JPG
    31 KB · Views: 1,576
Thanks for the comments everybody. I guess I was just trying to turn a pretty average frame into something a bit more special. Probably best to save that intent for a frame more special I suppose.

@hamster: thank you very much for the offer. That RD is definitely an improvement on what I have on there, but Im not sure it would suit the bike. I'm trying to tart it up a bit!

Hi there :) I think it looks stunning, and can see where you got the idea to "upgrade" :)

I'd go for a Miche headset, Mavic Rear Mech, Miche pedals, Black Cinelli XA stem, Cinelli Eubios bars, blue bar tape. These are all black & alloy in colour. Maybe track down some new black brake hoods.

Drop on some Blue Vittorias and tidy up the cabling, maybe go blue. I have done the wifes Faggin with white outers for the brakes, and black outers for the gears (its a black & white frame). It just stopped the front cabling looking too busy.

For me it would then go from nice to "WOW". Its certainly in excellent condition and the added parts for my mind would "groupset it". I'm assuming they are shimano hubs on Mavic Competition rims, so equally said you could add Shimano 600 Arabesque groupset OR 105's depending on what the hubs are. Mavic grouping it would also be nice, but probably expensive.

If you really wanted to push the boat out, drop the centre pulls, blank off the inserts with chrome bolts and fit road brakes (front & rear or already holed).

I like both it, and your idea :) Its all down to personal taste my friend. As you can guess, I'm a groupset person, and I never really stray from Campagnolo, all correctly dated and grouped. Apparently there is a cure for this addiction, but I work hard to keep it out of reach.

If you're up for it, hawk round ebay for the parts you want and WAIT until the right price comes along. You can pick the bike off 1 piece at a time, and if you don't like what you've done you aint much outa pocket. Yours Laz.

Attachments

• Miche Headset .jpg
    Miche Headset .jpg
    19.2 KB · Views: 1,508
the above headset with these bars and stem, then brake levers (below). Can't find a pic of the Eubios right now so these 60's pista will do.

Attachments

• cinelli stem-bars.jpg
    cinelli stem-bars.jpg
    31.7 KB · Views: 1,502
Laz, you're the man! Thats exactly the sort of inspiration I was looking for :D

I've put my thinking cap on now, and I have a few ideas - if anybody else has any suggestions, feel free to come forward - otherwise I hope to have a before & after to present in a few weeks.

Thanks everybody :D

Back