Help setting up cantilever brakes (Kinesis Crosslight 5T)

Ugo51

Retro Guru
Hi guys,

Not vey retro, but I've been wanting a Crosslight for a while and I finally found one at a good price and in my size!
The only problem...brakes are sh*t

I changed the pads (admittedly not the best on the market, but still...), but the brake power is still well below that of my road bike with long reach caliper brakes!
I had a read (two or three, actually) at Sheldon Browns article on cantilever brakes and how to adjust them for optimal braking power, but other than lowering a bit the cable yoke to decrease what SB calls the "yoke angle", I don't know what else I could do.
I never had a bike with such wide profile cantilever brakes, but I must say I'm not a far so far. Unless I am not seeing an obvious adjustment that could improve the situation. Do you have any suggestions?

Thanks a lot!

Capture.PNG

A good reference point for the optimal height to set your straddle length is the fork. Set the cable so that when at rest, it gives you the same amount of clearance over the tire as the fork. Looks like yours could be a couple of cms lower

This is so bizarre...I received an email notification of a new reply, but I see no new message on the thread...

I thought that yesterday someone replied that the brake pads look too thick but now it's gone.

The pads need to make full contact with the rim.
Then if the levers too spongy you need to raise the straddle, and conversely lower it if they are too "clappy".
As a quick guide 90⁰angles are good (canti to cable, straddle to hanger) so the arms do look a little low.
Cheap pads always feel horrible. Like most bike stuff, cheap is a waste of money.

What's the rest of it look like? What is the cable stop? If these flex, it doesn't matter how the brakes are set up if power is lost elsewhere

It was me who removed my first message, I was unsure if my message was correct. I have had a 5T for over ten years with no brake issues until it rains they are rubbish in the wet even set up correctly, personally I would get rid of those pads you have on, here is a picture of my 5T bikes canti's though different pads and they work great (in the dry) (I think what you have is early 90's style Canti Pads on them brakes, but actually those brakes work in a kinda V style rather than a early 90's canti, am sure mine has V pads as below):

I think this may be the pads here at a sale, but don't quote me, they have been on my bike for over ten years.

Attachments

• Canti 3.JPG
    Canti 3.JPG
    441.9 KB · Views: 23
  • Canti 4.JPG
    Canti 4.JPG
    413.3 KB · Views: 23
Last edited:
Just to add the Kinesis UK Crosslight 5T has been one of the best bikes I have even owned and I have had a lot bikes. I would buy or upgrade to another Kinesis UK bike, however the Crosslight 5T I have is still going strong, it needs cleaned and a service as I do use it everyday.

Last edited:
@Ugo51 let me know how you get on with other pads (if you decide to try that) am curious to find out, also congratulations on the Kinesis Crosslight 5T, fantastic bike.

Back