Help needed - paintjob restoration

ArabStrap1

Dirt Disciple
Hi everyone,
the paintjob of my colnago is quite damaged (see picture below) and I am considering different solutions to bring back the frame to its original splendor. Here's what I came up with:

- get rid of the decor paintjob and get it powder coated. Pros: frame will look as new, Cons: cost (roughly £ 80) and decor piantjob lost

- get a blue can and spray rougly the damaged area. Pros: cheap, Cons: will not look great

- find some shop that does this kind of jobs. Pros: professional result, Cons: do not know anyone (any suggestion??), cost will probably be high

- get yourself/find someone who can land you an airbrush kit and do it yourself. Pros: fun, (maybe) decent result, Cons: cost (around £100 if buy the set), lot of work to do.

What do you suggets? Pictures:

Attachments

• IMG_20120121_114234.jpg
    IMG_20120121_114234.jpg
    133.8 KB · Views: 420
  • IMG_20120121_114317.jpg
    IMG_20120121_114317.jpg
    98.1 KB · Views: 420
  • IMG_20120121_114243.jpg
    IMG_20120121_114243.jpg
    140.2 KB · Views: 420
good luck trying the airbrush root, it could be a laugh but i doubt you'd get the results you're looking for.

These are the problems of the lack of decals, shows just what a great anti counterfeiting measure choosing to paint all their bikes instead of using decals was.

If it was me i'd just go for the powdercoating or touch up the paint where it was worst.

Looking at it again, i'd get it all clear coated as it stands...it would protect the bits that have lost paint but i think the paint isn't all that bad, i've certainly seen worse.

Thanks 1duck,
I'll probably retouch it a bit with a standard brush where the paint is really bad and then clear coat all the frame as you suggest. I agree powder coating all the frame will be the best-result solution but the idea of loosing the art decor paint job forever kills me (even thoug I am not a huge fun of this paint work).

Any suggestion on how to find this exact shade of blue? Do you know any shop in London that has a vast range of paints? What kind of paint should I use?

Also, would you suggest I apply the clear varnish myself or should I take it to a professional painter?

Cheers!

Back