Help me date my Clockwork

Waderider

Retro Newbie
I had two 'High Street' Mountain bikes before my first real one, an Orange Clockwork. Don't know what year that came from, but it died from a rusted in bottom bracket and a stuck seat tube, along with the fact it was full of rust.

In about 2003 I bought a second hand replacement frame from near Stirling and rebuilt the bike as below.

332611162_7168c72533.jpg

This bike, frame number M300A0030 is currently doing duty as a commuter. Happily it is on the verge of being rebuilt as a more pure retro off roader - thinking of painting the RC30's in a matching colour!

Anyhow, I was wondering what year the frame might be so I can go hunting for relevant components. In case it's relevant the gear cable routing on this frame is on the downtube, with a welded on front derailleur cable guide. Any help appreciated.

P.S. My second post here in 5 years!

Was the frame originally all orange or was it an orange/white fade that's had the white covered over? Only asked as an all orange one was posted on the site in the last week and it was the first I'd seen from that era painted in straight orange. Told the poster he had a rare bike but then another possibly turns up. :roll:

Looks like it's a 90 or 91 but the serial number's got me stumped. Sure the first '0' isn't a '9'? Great bike either way. :cool:

Frame number

The frame is the colour it left the factory in, and I guess the first 3 might be a 9. I'll go check later after I've been out on my 1999 Gringo!

Just having my pre ride cuppa and surf.......

P.S. Just noticed your collection of bikes :shock: :cool:

The other bike's number was A3 09A 0114 and this is M3 00A 0030. I've never seen an M number, so I wonder if that M is really an A? Clearly a different format than the later one. My guess is that 09 and 00 are the date indicators and the first frame was made in 1989 and this one in 1990. It doesn't look as though there is a 'month' indicator. The model year in each case could be either that or the year after. This certainly looks like either a 1990 or 91 Clockwork.

Norn Ireland

Agentorange, wasn't expecting to read a comment like that.

The first incarnation of this bike spent about a decade being razzed about Clandeboye Estate and the Leadmines between Newtownards and Bangor. I lent it to a pal in Ards for a couple of years, retrieving it just before Xmas past as he wasn't making use of it. That photo is taken in the Leadmines a few years ago. The bike now lives in Scotland.

Back