Help, i need a 7 speed Freehub!

ExeterJake

Dirt Disciple
After a 7 speed freehub. The one it needs to replace is from a Marin Hawk Hill. The freehub thats come off is a King Kong freehub and it mates to an original Marin wheel hub. Anyone know of one about, ive checked ebay and had no luck!

marin hawkhill...Is the hub accera x or something like that?

Anyway, These hubs at chain reaction are ideal for robbing out, done it myself a few times now.

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/shim ... -prod87011

So, it's to compatibility. I have successfully transplanted to M550, exage and STX(iirc) as the spline interface are the same. Also you gain new bearings and cones. The spline interface is quite universal with some exceptions like, RM30(silent clutch) but most will accept the freehub in the link. Even 8/9 speed m570, m750 are the same, just longer body.

It is sometimes necessary to fiddle and swap around grease guards and washers to get it working right but that's the least of your worries.
Inspect your freehub at the back and compare to this.......

https://encrypted-tbn2.gstatic.com/imag ... 77LuNqSfD2

There are some exceptions but most shimano bodies are the same interface. As for king kong in particular, i'm not sure what is what.

No its an original Marin branded hub. The freehub body is Threaded and sticks out like a nipple opposed to be internally looking like that one.

Replacement freehub bodies for generic, branded non Shimano hubs are pretty difficult to find. The problem is usually identifying the hub manufacturer and then tracing a part number. Even then replacements are either impossible to find or disproportionately expensive.

It's likely the hub you have is made by Formula, Joy tech or Novotec.

They can be found, but for example I've had to source a Novotec part for a modern 'Planet X' branded hub directly from Taiwan. It was for a customer and it took about six weeks to arrive.

This is one reason why I like Shimano and Hope hubs.

The actual freehub body is King Kong stamped. Im still after one, my other resort is lacing an STX hub into it which ideally i dont want to have to do.

ExeterJake":22e0rfp9 said:
The actual freehub body is King Kong stamped. Im still after one, my other resort is lacing an STX hub into it which ideally i dont want to have to do.

It may be the better option. Atleast you will have a hub with a replaceable freehub ;)

I think you're gonna struggle to find a replacement for that.

I'll have a rummage down at the recycle workshop on thursday night for you just in case but a new hub is probably going to be your best bet. I've got a 8sp shimano parallax hub knocking about somewhere but can't remember if it's 32h or 36 but I'm in Exeter and you're welcome to it if it would be usefule.

Matt

I keep meaning to check the freehubs I have as I have one which doesn't fit
my wheels. Checked it today, looks like the thread is fatter; thread is 24.85[25]mm diameter x 1.25 pitch.

Attachments

• freehub.jpg
    freehub.jpg
    22.1 KB · Views: 223
Back