Help i.d. mystery bike.

Montague Rhodes

Dirt Disciple
I got this bike from ebay for the nice retro 7-speed 105 groupset, but the frame has caught my imagination too - In part because I can't id it....
SAM_1912 by John Dunn, on Flickr

There's a thick glom of paint covering all but the bb shell (I scraped some away.)

I've managed to search out some useful stuff but nothing like an id yet....

Both dropouts are stamped colombus.
SAM_1948 by John Dunn, on Flickr

The seatstay bridge is a nice one from "Silva".
SAM_1954 by John Dunn, on Flickr

The only detail yet seen on the lugs is "73.5" on the toptube/seatstays lug. That is the angle, surely?

SAM_1949 by John Dunn, on Flickr
SAM_1945 by John Dunn, on Flickr

What is that weird "nobule" on the back of the head tube? I've seen it on a couple of other frames but don't know what it's for?

SAM_1944 by John Dunn, on Flickr
SAM_1943 by John Dunn, on Flickr

The detail on the BB:

There is the forge code "LB-01", another forum poster id'd that as a Taiwanese brand bb. There is also the stamped number "108" on the other side of the BB - widthways across the BB. That's no help to me so far...

Also the BB look to be a Campag style one

There might well be something under allthat paint of course....

Thanks!

Dreadful thick paint or powdercoat, especially as the headset and BB weren't removed first! :facepalm:

The pip on the head tube is to take one end of a frame fit pump.

Re:

Not the cleverest job is it?

Anyway, the bike was stripped before spraying, I think, so I haven't yet encountered any interesting details in the usual spots...

Sounds spot on the money, especially considering it's not a small frame and has 1kg of thick paint on it :LOL:

Italian or GB bottom bracket?
Seatpost diameter?

Lugs are nothing special, neither are the top tube cable eyes - the chainstay & brake bridges look cast but are unfinished.

Rk.

Back