Help!! – my bracket's stuck

Crayons

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
Spent the afternoon trying to take out the bottom bracket on my Pace – the non-drive plastic cup has come out OK, but try as I might the drive side still won't budge (I assume pace still put a reverse thread on the driveside like everyone else – unscrews clockwise :? )

I've tried soaking the whole thing with GT85 even put an old tube over the end of the spanner to get a bit more leverage, but the bugger won't move :cry: interestingly the right-hand cup seems to be made out of steel, always thought the shimano ones were alloy.

At this point I'm open to suggestions, since brute force and a healthy dose of ignorance doesn't seem to be doing the trick.

How long did you give the penetrating oil a chance to work IME the longer the better( at least 30 mins). Have you got a vice or access? Try the tool in the vice and use the frame as a lever. You could double check with the park tools site for direction though I think your correct.

they are made of steel on shimano bb's. you could either try a 24" breaker bar or an air ratchet. be careful though!! and when you put the new one in put some copper-slip on it!!

BB tool into the cup. Secure with rear wheel QR. SECURE.

BB tool into a vise. Use the frame as leverage and turn.

As long as the BB tool is SECURE in the cup, I've never had it fail

Cheers guys – yep, got a vice (nice little metalworking one too :LOL: ) Had wondered about that approach, and certainly would have gone that way in the past but I was a bit concerned about being so forceful with the pace.

I wanted one for so long and when she arrived I told myself I'd be real gentle with her – now I'm gettin' all rough.

I feel a two-pronged approach will be best – soak her BB over night and try again with the spanners, the vice will have to be a last resort (I'll need to strip her to do that – I fear she'll find it all too degrading)

Agree on leaving the penetrating oil / lube longer. I often leave it 24 hours or at least over night.

Penetration

Have you tried oiling the inside of the cup through the BB as opposed to just the outside,just a thought.

Success!!!

Thanks all

Left the BB soaking with penetrating oil over night and tried again, no avail – took the wheels etc (sticky out bits) off and popped the tool in the vice as suggested. I'll admit it took a while and a lot of force but the little fella finally gave up the fight.

There was a surprising amount of corrosion in the bottom bracket area – some of the threads had turned to powder – never seen that in an alloy frame before and there was nothing to suggest it from the outside of the frame which is immaculate. Whole area has been well and truly greased up before I put the replacement in. I'll just have to keep an eye on it in the future.

Are Pace frames particularly vulnerable to corrosion?

Latest posts

Back