Headset Trouble

Mossy

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
I'm using a new cane creek s2 1" threadless headset on my P7 build using RC36 evo III forks. The headtube was cleaned up during the re-spray (reamed and faced). Unfortunately both cups have a tiny amount of play when seated in the frame, and strangely, the crown race also has a small amount of play :? I assume that this is the reason why I'm experiencing shakiness when the slack is taken up and the clamp is tightened. Maybe that the headset is not a perfect 1".

What can I do to ensure the cups and the crowns are seated firmly?

Regards, Mossy

I no longer have any in the shop and there may be more versions currrently available. Get the permanent version that's really not permanent if a heat gun is used before disassembly. Make certain the excess is removed after assembly.
Cheers

1" ? That will be JIS and campy differences then :-(

Have a look on sheldons site or similar, I think the park site mentions it to ?

WD :D

Whilst tucking into my shredded wheat this morning I thought this may be a JIS and ISO problem with the 1". Thanks for the nudge WD I'll have a research today. To note the C2 headset I have has no info regards it's fit in terms of ISO or JIS.

Good call Wd. I ran into this issue a while back :roll: however I have never come across a p7 with JIS before. It sounds more likely that the head tube has stretched slightly. Perhaps due to over tightening or someone trying to fit (edit) the wrong headset.
I am of course assuming the headset itself is not at fault! But it sounds odd that it would be. If you find out let me know please as i was going to get one of these headsets!

•One-inch Japanese Industrial Standard (JIS)
•Head cup race OD- 30.0mm
•Acceptable head tube ID range- 29.75mm to 29.9mm
•Fork crown race ID- 27.0mm
•Fork crown seat OD acceptable range- 27.1mm to 27.2mm

One-inch "Modern European" Standard
•Head cup race OD-30.2mm
•Acceptable head tube ID range- 29.9mm to 30.1mm
•Fork crown race ID- 26.4mm
•Fork crown seat OD acceptable range- 26.5mm to 26.7mm

Borrowed from the Park Tools website

Back