Headset Modification.

stephan

Retro Guru
Folks,

Anyone tried to internally lathe the threads out a 1 1/8" or 1 1/4" threaded headset top bearing cup to make it a threadless set?

Just curious! :)

Folks,

Anyone tried to internally lathe the threads out a 1 1/8" or 1 1/4" threaded headset top bearing cup to make it a threadless set?

Just curious! :)
No, but it's something I'd do.

Only problem would be it would end up just a straight fit, as opposed to most aheadsets having a taper design to lock it down, but, you could easily machine that in, if the top cup had enough meat in to machine

No, but it's something I'd do.

Only problem would be it would end up just a straight fit, as opposed to most aheadsets having a taper design to lock it down, but, you could easily machine that in, if the top cup had enough meat in to machine
I see, just checked! The threadless does have a tapered cup that sits "wedges" into the top bearing cup, to keep in central under tension.

Chris King is one that comes to mind, no ‘wedge’ in there just a very close fit.
Ah! - My guess even a thousdanth of an inch off (cup size), under tension the bearings would just be rough. I wonder if Chris King's bearings also have something to do with why they do not need that "wedge" as they kinda "lock" together with precision.

I’m just thinking of play between the headset and steerer, rather than within the bearing itself.
Gotcha - so the wedge compressed would stop any play, Chris King are / were bold to produce such tolerances, my guess some fork steerers etc are way out of tolerance.

I have an adapter for such a thing and it was done in the past. No need for it, bought it a while back as a 1 inch option but I think it was for 1 1/8. I can dig it out and post pics if anyone's interested.

I have an adapter for such a thing and it was done in the past. No need for it, bought it a while back as a 1 inch option but I think it was for 1 1/8. I can dig it out and post pics if anyone's interested.
Cheers @ishaw - no rush for the pictures, curious however what this looks like. ta

Back