Headset bearing help.

My_Teenage_Self

BoTM Winner
Gold Trader
Kona Fan
Feedback
View
Howdy fellas.

I can't figure out what bearing I need; can anyone help?

It's a sealed cartridge bearing from a 1&1/4" Diacompe headset.

It seems to measure 44.4mm external, 33.2 internal, and 7mm high.

it looks mainly like a typical bearing, but does appear to be a specific headset bearing as there is a slight taper to the edge of the inner race.

Anyone seen anything similar?

Attachments

• IMG_0742.JPG
    IMG_0742.JPG
    45 KB · Views: 627
  • IMG_0743.JPG
    IMG_0743.JPG
    47.8 KB · Views: 627
Re:

I'm not sure if what I say will help, but anyhow...

I was in a similar case with a very early Cane Creek C1 cartridge headset. An odd size impossible to find and uncertain about the seating angles. The best info I found was that it was commissioned by Cannondale.

For the Dia-comp, you may be best to look at some of the BMX headsets. Diatech AFAIK never had cartridge bearings.

When all said and done after research, it was best to smash the whole lot out and buy a Stonglight O'Light ST which is pretty budget retro friendly. Well made unlike low end Ritchey toss. I noticed some nice Tange headsets on EbayGermany if you need threaded. The cost of an obscure bearing compared to a new headset made me realise it's not worth it.

Re:

No, 1 1/8. More common, still impossible to find.

I saw Tange in 1 1/4. Don't think Diatech did any 1 1/4, just 1" and 1 1/8.

I was a bit miffed because I was of the belief I could just pop in bearings - especially for a Cane Creek.

Re:

BTW, if the bearing surfaces are not too pitted, you can consider popping off the seal, regreasing, and may even be able to squeeze in an extra ball.

As you've identified.... it's a headset specific bearing and the usual bearing suppliers won't be able to help.
New headset or raiding an old headset are probably your only options. In the past I have kept an eye out for the same headset on ebay and just raided it for parts.
Sorry there isn't an "easy" option.

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Back