Has anyone had their eyes lasered?

I would have it done if I wasn't such a big girl's blouse. Reading ZigZag's description was toe-curling!!

I've heard good things about it too. My Mrs friend has had it done and no probs. A driver who delivers to where I work also has had it done. He described the op which made me queezy. But he hasn't had any problems either.
If I could afford it, I'd seriously think about it.

I ha d mine done after 30+ years of glasses and lenses and wish I'd had it done years ago its bacically half a days discomfort for a lifetime of seeing when you swim and wearing the sunglasses you want :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Be careful; the TV commercials claim an outrageously high rate of "customer satisfaction" but in reality many people are dissapointed because they still need glasses after surgery.

There is also a significant risk of your eyes being damaged so make sure the surgeon is fully experienced. I can understand that trainees need to start somewhere but just like hairdressers they should start out only being allowed to to the basics; there is a temptation in laser eye surgery to use cheap labour to cut prices; before they start cutting into your eyes you should know exactly who is performing the proceedure, it's no good complaining after they've left scratch marks in your field of vision.

But.. I am also very keen to have laser eye surgery. It won't be cheap but I know a way of getting a massive discount on the price - you'll have to PM me if you want to know how because too many people know about it already. :cool:

Full price for laser eye surgery is typically around £4000-£5500 in the UK.

Had mine done 2 years ago, Optical Express. Paid £2790 (LASIK with Wavefront and Intralase.

Procedure is exactly as described above, but all I can say is that you basically have no idea what is really happening. Yeah it's odd, but no pain at all. It's SO fast, and adrenalin just takes over. I only really remember the bit where the surgeon must have moved the flap to one side - as it goes blurry. Then it tickling as he puts the flap back, brushing your eye to get all the air bubbles out :shock: . Maybe sounds worse than it is.

Do it!

Ditto the experience here in the USA and I had mine done about 8 years ago. When they lased my eyes, it smelled like burning hair - yuck. Before the surgery, I'd been wearing glasses since the 6th grade and then contacts once in high school. I had to wait until my vision stabilized which it did FINALLY when I was about 33.

My vision settled in at, are you ready... 20:850. That means, what you can see normally at 850 feet away, like a McDonald's sign, I could only see at 20 feet away w/o contacts or glasses. I was obviously VERY near sighted but luckily without any astygmatism. After the surgery, I'm happy to report that I'm still 8 years later, 20:20 in one eye and 20:15 in the other (better than perfect). I have NO halos, no flare, nothing and didn't need any follow up corrections either. I can count the leaves and pine needles on trees that my friends of the same age (42) can only dream of. It was the best $4K I've ever spent.....well maybe except for the Adroit but other than it was certainly the best money I've spent. :LOL:

I'd recommend that you go to the doctor/clinic that has done the most surgeries and ask for any public agency reports for them (to gauge their complaint-to-surgery ratio). My clinic had done over 2K surgeries before mine and I figured they'd have the process down pat by the time I went in and turns out I was right. There are obviously exceptions to my experience but I have nothing but positives to tell you. If you're nervous, have one eye done first and wait 6 months before doing the other one.

Have a m8 who's a optician and he did say it was a bad idea to have laser treatment tho I can't remember why !

Don't think it just to fill his pocket with cash as he's not like that ... must ask him again

thinking about getting mine done.

been wearing glasses since i was about 23, then last year started on daily contacts......transformed my life.

i can only guess what having laser surgery will do, so im going to look into it.

my dad had his done and i took him to a football match soon after and he was shocked at how good his eyes were, way better than mine.

I got a bit worried whan they cut the corneal flap, and the surgeon said "Thats not right - best we wait a couple of hours for that to settlr)

Turns out I have smaller than average corneas and the intralas had created a bubble in the inner chamber, so iris recognition and traking wouldn't work, Pretty cool safe switch, the surgeon does very little, the machine calls the shots.

A couple of hours in a dark room on my own later(thats very odd as you can't see jack all after they create the corneal flap, its normally only a few moments till they stick you under the main laser, lift the flap and do the deed) and all the feel good and relaxed drugs had worn off.

Back in surgery under the main laser, its like trying to stare at the sun while not squinting, the eye is wedged open with a spectlum, but you can still try!

Who ever said its like dripping onion juice in you eye, well done that man, my eyes were tearing for hours and hours afterwards.

Its now been about 6 hrs after the surgery, i've had a nap, sight seems pretty good (I have these stupid protctive covers over them that are like trying to look through oily finger smudged glasses with water droplets on them)

very pleased thus far

Back