Has anyone had their eyes lasered?

Scrat

Retro Guru
Feedback
View
I'm over glasses/contacts

But its a serious amout of wedge, and there is the 1/10000 chance it'll all go pete tong and i'll end up with even worse vision

No but I have done some (if only slight) research in to it and had a talk buy one of the pioneers in to the techniques. This was as research in to lasers not opthalmology. Pictures/Video where cool though, if you're not squemish, don't have them on me anymore :(

What happens and what they use depends on the type of correction the are performing.

I will mention he still wears glasses ;-)

i have a friend that has, and she was very pleased with the results, she went for the more expensive option, down to how the preparation is done, but she loves the results

a guy i work with everyday has had it done and is 100% pleased with it....

i wear glasses and he can still see better than me :? :D

My Dad had his eyes done at 60,before he went in he had to squint when driving and could hardly read a newspaper
Afterwards he had near 20/20 vision

I've been thinking about it too,i'd like to have it done but i cant afford it.If you can,then go for it

looked into it never had the cash to consider it though i know a fella who had it done a few years ago he says it was the best thing he ever did, being someone who didnt need glasses till i was in my 20's i really considered it

Had them done 6 months ago. Intralase lasik. Well chuffed with the results, slightly better than 20/20 now, although I do notice halos around bright lights at night or sometimes in the cinema when the titles are white on black. Annoying, but not an issue and I believe it may go away over time. Some random observations:

The day of the op, it's simply a production line - I wasn't expecting to feel like a piece of meat being processed, but you are.

The op itself was an odd experience. One eye at a time, they stick a bandage on to cover the one not being done - I think the worst was the initial part where they put those things on that hold the eyelids back, then put something over the eyeball that sucks it up slightly (although this feels like someone is really pushing down on the eyeball) so they can cut the the flap. Vision goes blurry, then white but you can't close your eyes - not describing it well, but I found it very disconcerting not seeing or being able to focus on anything AND not being able to close your eye.

Once the surgeon's peeled the flap back, the actual laser correction involves you focusing on a green laser for several 5-10 second burst of laser activity. You're told to keep the eye as still as possible, but even if it moves the software compensates and I believe it stops firing if the eye moves too much. Chances are you will get a whiff of your eyeball being burnt, don't freak!

Then the surgeon puts the flap back down and smooths it out to get rid of any air bubbles - made me think of pasting wallpaper when he was doing this :)

Immediately after its done, you're dumped in a dark recovery room. At this point it was like looking at the world through a piece of really scratched perpex. You're wondering wtf? What have I done? Once the eye anaesthetic wears off, it's like you are chopping the worst onions in the world, and closing your eyes only makes it marginally better - this lasted about 90-120 minutes for me - make sure you've got someone to get you home, you won't be driving and I would have really struggled on public transport, simply because I could not keep my eyes open for even a few seconds - physically, this was the worst part of the whole thing. Straight to bed once home and managed to sleep for a few hours. Don't try and stay up.

Vision was noticeably better the first evening, but still hazy. Next morning was wow! though - able to drive car, no problem.

Eye shields at night for two weeks I think, right pain in the arse. No water in eyes for the same period. No rubbing eyes for a month.

Found it really hard to work in the office in front of the PC for the frst 3 weeks - eyes really felt tired after just a few hours. Reminded me off having contact lenses in for too long. Funnily enough, wasn't as big an issue when working at home on PC.

Any questions, drop me a PM.

near enough exactly as Zig Zag had mine done 2 yrs ago distance vision is superb and can read well enough but close up vision now requires glasses(about once a week in work reading very small data plates. had mine done the same way and it is a production line £2k for 20 mins !!

Back