Hardisty Team bike..... proper tyres page 3

Here is a little Q & A to the former owner and rider Jill

1. What was your early background and How did you come to represent hardisty cycles in mtb'in
1. I’ve always loved sport, running and athletics in particular so I had a bit of background in speed/ endurance events. My boyfriend at the time was a keen roadie. He borrowed MTBs for our first date and I was hooked from there. It was great to have a hobby in common and we trained together and went to lots of events.
My first race was at Gateshead Stadium/ bowl, if I remember rightly it was sponsored by Hardisty’s. Much to my surprise I won the women’s event, beating the existing Hardisty crew. We used to go to Hardisty’s shop quite regularly so the sponsorship came out of a conversation from there.

2. What races did you compete in? And did you ever get a podium finish

It was a great time to be riding and racing MTBs with the emergence of teams and race series and loads of people taking up the sport. I raced the NEMBA, Moore Large and some of the BMBF series and others I’ve forgotten. I got the shock of my life when I entered my first NEMBA race at Catterick, the race started so fast I was blown out the back and packed after 1 lap. It didn’t put me off completely and I went back the year after and won. I also won the Moore Large series and won a nice Scott MTB. I had a few other podium places and raced nationals, think I was 12th but not sure! I was definitely a league below the big guns though!
I had all of my results and some photos from the mags of the day but my sister accidentally threw them out. If you or anybody has copies I’d love to see them!

3. What was your favorite/most memorable race/venue and why?

That first NEMBA event was memorable for being grim! Hamsterley was a favourite, I liked the varied course- single track, big moorland climb, fast forest trails and tricky downhill sections. I had a really memorable and enjoyable race in France when my boyfriend and I were working as couriers. It was great because we had trained hard and reaped the rewards and both won! It was just a lovely little local event but great fun.

4. Did you ever meet any of the other "in the limelight" racers back in the day?

I raced at some of the same events as Caroline Alexander, Deb Murrell, David Baker, Jason McRoy, they were all friendly and but I didn’t really hang out with any of them. Tim Gould was stand out for friendliness and approachability. I knew Colin Davidson who owned Denton Cycles and was a classy Masters rider ( ex pro road racer) and travelled to some events with Paul Plunkett who was a great down hiller. Helen Gilroy a classy New Zealander and lovely local girl call Lindsey ( Michael Bonnie Orange cycles, girlfriend/ wife) also rode for Hardisty and were always good to catch up with at events.

Seeing the big guns race up close was amazing! Awesome fitness and super bike skills.

5. How did you feel about your pink livery? Did you have a say in it.

No choice of livery! Black and white for the roadies, pink and black MTB. Standout and unsubtle but I liked it!

6. Did you get a choice in your groupset, tyres, saddle and grips.

Choice of tyres- think I road Panaracer smokes but would change them depending on the conditions. Groupset etc came as is and was an upgrade on my previous bike so I was pretty satisfied. Suspension forks were being introduced and I remember fancying some Rockshocks. They were too pricey and I was given a cheaper alternative. I couldn’t get away with them, especially on climbs so went back to steel.

7. Mars bar or marathon?
Marathon! Love the nuts man.

8. Did you go on to race for other teams.

I rode for a club and for fun for a good few years after I stopped racing, I did a few road time trials for my local club (Tyne Velo) but nothing serious. I liked the long Sunday runs, especially the tea shop stops. I also had some great cycle touring holidays in France and Spain, especially the Pyrenees and road the Hardisty with slick tyres and panniers. Happy days!

9. Do you still ride now and if so what do you ride?

My main sports now are rowing and golf. I ride occasionally and bought a Sonder Camino gravel bike during lock down. There are loads of great tracks where I live. I’d like to do more but have lost a big fitness and the drive to gut myself … Dare I mention the possibility of an electric purchase….

10. Did you ever meet Jason MC Roy?
I met Jason at a few events. He was a class act. Really nice guy and super talented. Such a sad loss 😞

Thank you for that @Jill67 👍

What an awesome thread. Love the Q&A with the original owner, great insight and nice to hear past names and events etc.

How did I miss the bike being posted in What's my XYZ worth? No one even replied. Anyway, it's in a safe pair of hands and it's a cracking machine! 😍 💪:cool:

Back