Hard ride, ouch.

captaincosmic":2gpmueot said:
I must point out at this stage that whilst big fat gel saddles flexstems and sus posts are useful to some I prefer it as uncomfortable as possible for the true Retro experience :D

Have you considered replacing the flite saddle with a large spray-painted pine-cone?

Mmmm a Pine Cone....now there's a thought I guess it could be Zip tied to the post and it would be super light but I'm just not sure it has the requisite surface area to avoid the obvious slipping uncomfortably into cavities where it would not be welcome ,not to mention the inconvenience of a difficult extraction say half way up a technical climb.
No the conclusion drawn here is that it would be impractical on the HOLE :LOL:

Rigid bike + high pressure slick tyres = a solid ride.
1st thing to try would be offroad tyres, say a 2.1" at 40-45psi, that should take the edge off most bumps.
I "USE" a USE Shockpost on my hardtail bike as I also do a fair bit of road riding on slicks and for me it works pretty well, also quite handy to absorb unexpected bumps offroad too.
A Flexstem or similar will help a little at the front too, but a set of suspension forks won't add lots more weight but will imporve things a lot.
Also look at carbon bars etc as they can help reduce the "trail buzz" and take the edge off things a little.

MTFU, love it. (i do play rugby though ;) )
Yeah im getting used to it a bit, will go for front suspension and carbon bars sound nice and expensive. £ weeks time and it will be pay day/spend lots of money bike parts :)

captaincosmic":1ruwij2g said:
I must point out at this stage that whilst big fat gel saddles flexstems and sus posts are useful to some I prefer it as uncomfortable as possible for the true Retro experience :D
I run Flite saddles on use posts with rigid forks every time :shock:
slick tyres no wider than 25mm and running 110psi
offroad 1.9`s at 40 psi
I am on the lookout for a Flexstem ATM purely for it coolness :)
As mentioned previously let some air out of your tyres loosen up and enjoy
:oops:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... _975wt_998

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
well expensive or should I say Tres if you use your LBS if you want to do it yourself its pretty simple and feel free to contact me or ask for help on the forum :)

If you think slicks on a rigid MTB pumped up hard is uncomfortable don't get on a proper road bike with norrow tyres pumped up to 110 psi.

I find my steel road bike with hard tyres very comfortable and my rigid retro very comfortable as well. I do not have suspension seatpost, flex stems or gel filled seats. I guess I am just used to it.

I think riding a full susser has spoillt you. You'll grow to love it I'm sure. For road use you should be riding rigid anyway.

Back