Hack Commute Pub bike

Craigk

Old School Hero
So as title suggests, thinking of beater bike project, cos Klein is nearly finished, and won't be ridden to the pub, and Kona is working beautifully, so don't want to bllx it up fiddling! There fore a hack is needed. Thinking old steel frame, of the completely horizontal top tube type, with knobbly tyre, mudguards and rear panniers. Firstly, anyone photos of something similar, for inspiration? I'm thinking of an old Raleigh, something like Yukon, mirage etc.
Secondly, my thoughts turn to handlebars, don't want drops, don't want risers or xc, rather something that offers multiple hand positions, and space for lights and such- any ideas peeps?

Cheers as always
Craig

I think Brahma bars are good, and don't look out of place on bikes like a Raleigh Yukon.

How tall are you?

Height is 5'11, thinking I want it to feel reasonably long and relaxed(!) so my reasoning in older frame fashion is roughly a 21 inch frame- my Kona is a 19 inch, Klein is a 20 ( Klein sizing tho?) so fairly sure I'm right?

I posted my '95 Rockhopper over in the members' bikes forum. 21" c-c seat tube, Origin-8 Space bars (copy of On-One Mary bars), etc. I'm 5'11" and I think you're right on with the sizing, especially if considering any sort of swept-back bars.

7351947950_e7608c1f39_b.jpg

7166737307_27071396c7_b.jpg

This era of Rockhopper seems to be sort of a hidden gem. Doesn't have the cachet of a Stumpjumper, but is surprisingly light as a bare frame, and rides wonderfully. The geometry is a bit more modern, waaay better than the older mid-80's bikes that are super-slack, IMO.

There are some other excellent choices, like the lugged/unicrown fork mid-90s Trek 850/950, most Bridgestones (steeper head angle makes a great street bike ATMO). Someone in readers bikes just posted a Nishiki they got really cheap, I've got one of those too. Wish I could find a cheap Alien or Ariel elevated chainstay design, always thought those would make a unique city bike. There are some great old GTs that fit the bill.

PS-If possible, I highly suggest trying a front rack or front basket with a bungee net. Super easy to drop any backpack or messenger bag into, easy to carry and access any six-pack of beverages you may need to transport :), great for picking up pizza or other take-out snacks, etc.

Here's a non-mtb with front rack and old wine box attached for more inspiration:
5920173144_9bccb73777_b.jpg

That Rockhopper is gorgeous! Exactly what I was thinking, beautifully executed. It really brightens my day when I see machines like this, form and function in one package! And that front rack idea is a stunner! Made my day that!

yes

Hey Craig....i say use what ye have,that Fire Mountain i sold you will work well in this guise....heres mine(so it is) with £10 guards,£10 rack (£10 panniers not in pic!)and £10 butterfly bars(work brilliantly/criminally under rated,grips from poundland city centre!))....saves yourself a bit of money to buy some more bikes from me! old DBs work well too...as hopefully will my FW Evans mtb if/when it arrives....bloody Ulster'bank'...

take it easy, p.

Attachments

• Picture 353.jpg
    Picture 353.jpg
    132.7 KB · Views: 2,020
  • Picture 350.jpg
    Picture 350.jpg
    80.6 KB · Views: 2,020
This one was my personal favourite. I did a lot of miles on it, but it was going too rusty so I gave it to a friend who restored it. It's a concours winner now.

DSCN0340.jpg

1948 Raleigh Clubman.

That Rockhopper has a wonderful purposeful look to it! :cool:

I have a 1991 Marin Palisades 17.5" (but Marins size up big, it's 18.5 C-T) frame, forks, seatpost and stem in the classic Zolatone / Fluoro, which might suit.

Love the Rockhopper - only things I'd change the ano blue canti hangers, and the pedals. Otherwise totally cool.

Loving the colour of that Topanga, too.

Back