Guy Martin - Spitfire restoration

makster

Retrobike Rider
BoTM Winner
Feedback
View
Did anyone else watch this last night?
I was pretty knackered and probably wasn't paying 100% attention, but did they ever say what parts were re-used from the original Spit?

Missed the first 20mins myself, excellent craftsmanship that went into the rebuild, and just goes to show how great our engineering heritage is, and I still can't work out how they managed to build so many in a week during war time.

Re:

We can't get anything on the channel 4 player here due to region restrictions (same with the BBC's iplayer), so downloading it now.

The joy of torrents ...
jiji.gif

RubberLegs":1vwwe0d9 said:
Oddly, I can't find much about the restoration of this Spit.
I found a pic of the original recovery from the beach in 1986 here http://forum.keypublishing.com/showthre ... post947473
Can't see how they could've re-used much from that, maybe a few engine castings.

This was what I was thinking. I thought it was stretching it a bit saying that this was the same plane at the end.
Kind of the same as it was stretching it by saying that Guy rebuilt it! If putting some rivets into a sub-assembly it is what constitutes building an aircraft, then I built loads of Jaguars in the early 90's

I thought it was stretching it a bit saying that this was the same plane at the end.

I think this has been going on for years. Since the supply of gate guardians, instructional and stored airframes, etc. has dried up they've been recovering wrecks from Russian forests, lake beds, holes in the ground, whatever they can trace. Even the provenance of such airframes becomes 'thin', especially if they can't find the manufacturers ID plate.
I don't mind all that, they still look and sound great at airshows!

Re:

I saw it, tbh, I was hoping it would run for a few weeks. There's just too much to fit into an hour , with the pilots story, that of the women who built those planes, the 'rebuild', and breaks :roll:
From what we saw of the remains, fcuk all !
Seemed like the biggest enemy of the pilot, was the Americans, ironically.
Thanks yanks :evil:
Still think GM is great though! Does he still race bikes ?

Mike

Back