GT Zaskar LE 1999 Cosmic sunrise

Twonks

Dirt Disciple
Before reading the below, if anybody would like feedback on me as a seller I have many good reports on a few different forums if needed :)

I really don't want to sell this, but being realistic it just doesn't get used and I could do with the funds.

Bought everything brand new apart from the wheels, cassette and chain and I daren't add up what it actually cost me over the years. The frame is legendary and rides very well today even compared with the lightest of high speed cross country machines. 18" frame and suits me at 5'11" well. The paint is rather special and changes colour in sunlight. Goes from a brown through purple and green to black at the back. Not seen anything like out outside of Klein and custom paints.

It was recently rebuilt to the spec it is now and weighs around 23lb or less. (Can get an exact figure if people are really that bothered). The forks are not an ideal match colour wise, but they were by far the best forks RST did back in the day. They weigh less than equivalent SIDS/Fox etc and contain Englund air cartridges for very tunable riding.

Fitted with medium to top level components from the day. New bottom bracket and headset. Will be supplied without pedals.

Bad points.
The frame has a couple of dinks on the top tube. The scratch is quite deep and was done when the bike fell against a barbed wire fence. The other is a chip in the paint. Neither have affected the bike at all but they are there and the buyer needs to be aware.

The wheels were recently bought to go on the bike, and whilst they are in good condition, they do need to be trued and tensioned as a few of the spokes are not as tight as I'd like. The components are in good condition though with no dings, flat spots or broken spokes etc. Bearings run smooth.

EDIT- Also forgot the shifter indicator windows are not working as the little red plastic tab was damaged when I serviced them. Functionally smooth and good though.

It is quite hard to value such a bike, but I believe it is worth £450 and am only open to very close offers.
Because of the nature of the bike, I am asking collection only as I want any potential buyer to be 100% happy before purchasing.

Full Spec;
Frame: 1999 GT Zaskar LE Cosmic Sunrise paint. 18"
Forks: RST XMO (63mm travel)
Bars: Easton CT2 carbon riser
Stem: Kore lite
Headset: New FSA orbit XL2
Grips: Foam

Brake Levers assy: Avid speed dial 1.9 (Adjustable cable travel)
Front Caliper: Shimano XTR

Shifters: 9sp Deore LX
Front Mech: XT
Rear Mech:XTR

Seat: Flite Ti
Seat Post: Easton CT2 carbon

Cranks: Aerozine XL Carbon wrapped
Chainring(s): Aerozine
Chain: LX 9sp
Cassette: LX 9 sp
Pedals: N/A
Bottom Bracket: Deore HTii (new)

Rims: mavic 317
Spokes: Not sure
Hub: LX
Tube: yes
Tire: Hutchinson air lite pirahna.

zaskar1.jpg

zaskar2.jpg

zaskar3.jpg

zaskar4.jpg

zaskar5.jpg

zaskar6.jpg

zaskar7.jpg

zaskar8.jpg

zaskar9.jpg

zaskar10.jpg

zaskar11.jpg

That frames lovely. If you don't get any joy selling the whole bike, I'll happily take the frame only...

Thanks Steve. I have to agree the frame is a wonderfull looking beasty, and as it was the first real MTB I bought I'm struggling to part with it.

Why is one so nostalgic about a lump of metal :roll: :LOL:

I'll give it a week or so and let you know

would this be an easton 7005 frame
i have a 1999 zaskar race frame i got new old stock and removed the paint to polish it up and mine has
easton elite 7005 stamped in the tubes on the top of the croosbar at front and on the top side of downtube
on mine you could just see it through the paint but mine was the red black really thin paint
just thought it might help if it were easton etc to help sell it
i have three zaskars 2x zaskar team race zaskar race polished

they are great frames for the money as you know someone will be happy to own it rare colour also
i couldnt find one that colour in XL so had one of mine painted that colour

Thanks for the posts all :)

It is indeed an Easton frame - 6061 tubing and the last year they were built in the good ol USA - be it a good or bad thing ;)

Shall give it a few days longer before splitting, but should it go that way I'll honour the requests in order of posting.

Twonks":2hkp8a7f said:
It is indeed an Easton frame - 6061 tubing and the last year they were built in the good ol USA - be it a good or bad thing ;)

It's a good thing. Americans can build bike frames.

If we were talking about a car, that's a different story altogether ;)

i agree i have a usa 1999 zaskar race it rides really great and has had no frame issues at all in 5 years
i also have had two kenisis tiawan zaskar team races
the first one rode okish nothing really that special then it snapped up the top in the triple triangle after a year boo
then the second one rode better than the first one did but still not that great then that one cracked at the bottom bracket when i got on to ride off uphill so both tiawan builts both snapped
and the usa eason elite -ultralite 7005 rides much better than the other two ever could and ive stripped and polished it so if there was any cracks starting i would easily see them and i check it every month or so and its berfectly fine so my verdict is obviously
go usa bye bye tiawaneese
i agree amercan car are a joke on the whole

Back