GT talera 1994

Miage

Retro Newbie
Couldn’t resist buying this bike. Intrigued by the frame. The gear selectors don’t work. I’m hoping a degrease may solve it, does anyone have any advice in shimano alivio 7 speed shifters?

Attachments

• 2C401DDE-8F84-4EF9-B71E-06DADEAA73D0.jpeg
    2C401DDE-8F84-4EF9-B71E-06DADEAA73D0.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 32
  • 0FD33CBA-C9E7-42CE-B755-AB046C51B725.jpeg
    0FD33CBA-C9E7-42CE-B755-AB046C51B725.jpeg
    400.5 KB · Views: 33
Hmm, I have this Talera myself but thought it was a 1994 model. Happy to be corrected however.

Like yourself I loved the frame colour and it was a must purchase and canme at a great price too.

Mine has Grinshill gears though so not sure if mine are original or not having seen yours are different.

No advice myself sadly other than seeing if a regressed works firstly. Maybe the cables need changing?

Great colour frame!

Those shifters do look like they are a bit crusty inside and can jam up due to this.

Usually I’d stick the straw of a wd-40 or gt85 can in both where the cable enters and where you can see the cable end (pretty much where you’ve taken the second photo of). Give it a really good flush through, mind out for where it spills if you’ve got nice slabs or indoors! Leave it a while then repeat while trying to operate the shifters up and down. Pull on the cables to give it a bit of tension while trying to shift. Sometimes takes a few attempts but to be honest usually works.

If this doesn’t work and they are broken inside they aren’t really worth the hassle of buying replacement parts.

Thanks guys. I’ve updated to a 1994. The original owner (now 50) said he bought it in 1995 so probably a shop model.

I’ll try the wd40 trick and update with any progress. I’m hoping it’s all the sawdust that’s stopping the shifting.

Looking forward to refurbishing it anyway.

Thanks guys. I’ve updated to a 1994. The original owner (now 50) said he bought it in 1995 so probably a shop model.

I’ll try the wd40 trick and update with any progress. I’m hoping it’s all the sawdust that’s stopping the shifting.

Looking forward to refurbishing it anyway.
Quick update on this. I unscrewed the shifter and wd40 the mechanism slowly working the springs. Eventually got it working and they are both working Great!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    626.5 KB · Views: 3
Nice find, that looks to be in great condition for the age. GT’s from this period have some really nice paint jobs and the triple triangle design is timeless.
Enjoy.

I like the GT Talera. Your Talera is in nice condition it seems. Nice colour also. I like it.

A GT Talera was my first MTB my parents gifted me for Christmas 1991. Still have the frame in my basement.

Attachments

• DSC01087.JPG
    DSC01087.JPG
    163.8 KB · Views: 6

Latest posts

Back