GT STS questions

Smoothie

Retro Newbie
Hello everyone!

I found this site when I was looking for information on my trusty STS...never realised it's quite that old ;)
So, the question is about the LTS/STS family, mainly the rear suspension. First of alla a few general questions. My STS is apparently a 1997 model, the frame has the aluminium reinforcements on all corners and the seat tube is located outside the frame tube. What exactly is the rear wheel travel? There's no info on the 1997 catalogue, but the 1998 says 4"/5". I reckon the swing or indeed the whole rear triangle is the same? Apparently 97 is the first year with the trunion mount rear shock, are the swings interchangeable, i.e. does a '96 swing fit a '97 bike? And the stroke of the RS supadupa deluxe is 38mm = 1,5", right?

I'm wondering all this because the rear shock is nearing its end and will need to be replaced soon(ish). I'm trying to figure out the different possibilities to go about this.
First, and the most obvious would be to replace the old with a similar new one, just that Super Deluxe isn't really the best choice of shocks out there today...
So, there is the Risse Genesis, which apparently is available for the trunion mount. Does enyone have experience with that? Also, someone has modified the LTS/STS trunion to accept a Fox Float RL from a Cannondale Jekyll, but I couldn't find a Fox for sale very easily, I gather they are discontinued?
As I like to toy around with different ideas, I thought it might be possible to modify the top swing to accept any 165mm eyeletted shock. This would mean welding on some sort of attachment points to the top surface of the swing. Anyone tried this? I know it sounds a bit nutty and I really haven't thought it quite through yet as to wether or not there is a problem somewhere, but this would widen the variety of possible replacements.

Some rant for the first post! Hope it didn't bore you to tears...

Smoothie.

Not sure about this, my LTS has the trunion mount shock and thats an early 96 though it's the downhill version so maybe they had the trunion mount before the standard LTS.

Not sure about modifications either, always found the standard set up fine for my riding.

What i can do is show you this link ;) , this place stocks a load of replacement parts for the LTS/STS, bushes, shocks, linkages etc.

May be of some use

http://www.betd.co.uk/

You'll need the RS superdeluxe of deluxe. Or a different trunion shock with an eye-eye distance from 12CM.
The newer superdeluxe shocks are a bit longer, which results in a slightly higher seat and bottom bracket.

Your STS is the xc version with 3.5-4.5" of travel. The DS that came out in 98 has 4-5" and is a bit beefier in build.

The aluminium (trunion) swing link is not compatible with the earlier titanium (non-trunion link) unfortunately.

The Rock Shox shock available from BETD is probably the best option, and I highly recommend the bearing kits too.

Everyone, thank you for the super quick replies!
Good to know what I'm actually riding... Like jimihendrix pointed out, it seems I'm more than little confused with the LTS/STS history, there seem to be quite a few differencies between different years and so on.

I'll ponder over this and do some modelling to see wether the mods could work in the first place...and then probably bite the bullet and simply buy a new super deluxe :LOL:

I replaced the bushings on my bike to bearings some time ago, does make for a smoother ride. And doesn't squeek either...
I'm still intrigued by the Risse Genesis, the comments on mtbr seem to be very positive, but I haven't actually spoken with anyone who has one fitted. Anyone with first-hand experience..?

ashes_mtb":i9je4b7y said:
I thought Risse custom made the shocks to fit the STS. Check their site www.risseracing.com

Thanks ashes, they're the ones who make the Genesis. I suppose that is the best choice outside Rock Shox.
Although doing a bit of googling I bumped into a manufacturer called Stratos who apparently had a trunion adapter for their shocks, BUT I couldn't find their site...Are Stratos no longer in the business or am I just confsuing things?

Hey smoothie,

what is wrong with your super deluxe?

They're better than any air shock. Much plusher and fully adjustable for compression and rebound, with adjustable preload and spring rate.

I wouldn't rush into buying something that won't be as good.

Get your's serviced and get out and ride, thats what these awesome frames were designed for ;)

Travel is 100mm or 120mm depending on the position of the travel chips.

Chris.

Ps if you insist on changing your shock I'll buy your rock shox.

cjax, the main problem is the rebound damping. Or the lack of it.

Pondering over what to do with the rear shock I rang up a person who still services these. In his opinion replacing the seals and giving the thing a general overhaul might give it a new lease of life. So I think that for now I will do exactly what you suggested: get the Rock Shox serviced and ride!

However, I reckon the shock doesn't have all that many years ahead of it as it really is getting old and worn, but we'll see. I'll save this thread so when it does eventually break, I'll have some sort of idea what to replace it with. Thanks for the help, everyone!

Oh, and cjax, if for some reason I will still decide to replace the RS, I'll PM you.

Back